AutoCAD Map 3D Developer
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Developer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D Developer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating child features

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
max
Participant
584 Views, 7 Replies

Updating child features

Hi everyone. I've faced a problem working with Autocad Map 3d 2013.

I have two geometric feature classes, the one is a parent class and the other is a child.

The parent class feature may contain connections to more than 100 000 child features.

The problem is when i try to change geometry of the parent feature or even change the attribute information, it automatically cause update of all the child features, and it takes a very long time.

Is there any way to disable child features update?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Partha.Sarkar
in reply to: max

Hi,

Is this someting you are trying to do using Map 3D UI tools / commands ? Or using API ?

Thanks,

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 8
max
Participant
in reply to: Partha.Sarkar

Hi, thanks for reply.

I've created my industry model using Autodesk Infrastructure Administrator and work with it in Autocad Map 3d. The industry model is stored in oracle database.

On the picture below, there is a parent feature that has connection to 234 child features.

And when i chage the geometry of the parent feature using grip points, it causes update to all 234 child features. It's no problem if the count of child objects is 234, but if it's about 10 000 than the update takes a very long time.

If it helps to better understand the problem, i've created a video using camtasia.

http://screencast.com/t/opqRlTp8Em

Message 4 of 8
Partha.Sarkar

Hi,

Could you check if this helps ?

http://topobaseinsiders.typepad.com/the_topobase_insiders/2009/03/suppress-the-ma.html

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 8
max
Participant
in reply to: Partha.Sarkar

Hi.

Thank you for the link, i know about InitiateDrawBurst i'm using it when i need to update a lot of objects using API.

But in my case i'm not updating them in API, Autocad Map updates child features automatically when i change the geometry of parent feature.

And i'm asking is there a way to disable updating of child features, when the parent feature is changed.

Maybe there is something in the FeatureRules, but i didn't found there.

Message 6 of 8
max
Participant

There is one thing we've noticed working with Autocad Map 3d.

For example there are two users: User1 and User2 working on different computers. They are working with the same project using industry model based on oracle database.

User 1 and User2 generated some graphics into the drawing, the area they have drawen are not crossed. Now User2 filtered about 1000 objects of some FeatureClass(for exapmple FcPoint), and updated attribute data of all the 1000 objects using global update. After that User1 in his drawing moving the object of FcPoint FeatureClass (IMPORTANT that this object that was not updated by User2 in previous operation), and when he does that he recieves a dialog box like this http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/84/4025/2/2.png and he has to wait while all the 1000 objects of User2 will be updated.

The question is, why is Autocad Map working like that? Why User1 have to wait a long time for updating features, that are not even drawen to his drawing?

Imagine if there are not 2, but 200 users, and each of them is making global updates to a lot of objects. Working with the project in this case becomes impossible.

Message 7 of 8
max
Participant

Unfortunately the problem isn't solved yet, and it still disturbing users. Can some one reply is described higher a bug or not?
Message 8 of 8
proforov

We have the same issue with Map 3D 2014, did you solved it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost