AutoCAD Map 3D Developer
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Developer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D Developer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading GPS output on a serial port with VBA

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cvradis
535 Views, 4 Replies

Reading GPS output on a serial port with VBA

My apologies for cross-posting.

Does anyone know how to read the GPS receiver output connected to a serial port and have the location (Lat-Long or XY doesn't make any difference to me) dislayed on an AutoCAD drawing in real-time?

I have a Trimble GPS (4700 receiver) connected to the serial port and I have tried to directly read the NMEA output on that port with VBA. After searching on the Web I found out that this is done with some OCX named MSCOMM which programatically controls the computer's serial port. Unfortunately, this OCX does not work with VBA but only with VB (when I try to place it on a VBA form there's a message saying: The control could not be created because it is not properly licensed). Perhaps someone knows some DLL or other OCX that may be used with VBA??

I know about Trimble Link but it seems it doesn't support real-time connection with the GPS receiver.

I have to say that I have spend quite a few days searching for anything similar on the Web without any succes.
****Any*** help, hint, alternative approach or suggestion would be immensely appreciated.

TIA
Christoforos Vradis
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
gerardog
in reply to: cvradis

Hi! 🙂
Serial port data handling throug vb does not always work very good. A few times I've tryied this aproach, and it did not work. Trimble has some code for reading gps data in C (I had a look at it while working with a trimble cross-check). I'd suggest to use a c application for doing the serial io, and send messages to an application running inside autocad and handle them...

I hope this helps.
regards,
gg.

(gg@cvision.com.uy)
Message 3 of 5
jbump

I have had good results with using a dll/ocx from Blue Marble Geographics called GeoTracker. They have both a stand alone GeoTracker Application as well as an OCX/DLL toolkit. The control works with Motorola Binary, NMEA 0183 2.0, Trimble TSIP, and Trimble TAIP protocols. I have used it for both automated tracking/panning and realtime data collection. www.bluemarblegeo.com
Message 4 of 5
idp

Another ocx/dll Toolkit to read NMEA from GPS receivers is the NMEA.OCX / CoConEa Toolkit from Gaenger + Bruckner (http://www.gaenger-bruckner.de). It's even able to do coordinate transformations from/to more than 200 international coordinate systems. Niels
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Do you have an idea where can I get trimble's
code... or the specs to write one myself.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hi!
🙂
Serial port data handling throug vb does not always work very good. A
few times I've tryied this aproach, and it did not work. Trimble has some code
for reading gps data in C (I had a look at it while working with a trimble
cross-check). I'd suggest to use a c application for doing the serial io, and
send messages to an application running inside autocad and handle them...

I hope this helps.
regards,
gg.

(gg@cvision.com.uy)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost