AutoCAD Map 3D Developer
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Developer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D Developer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32/64 bit Database Problems (Access or SQL)

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
edwa8511
3425 Views, 3 Replies

32/64 bit Database Problems (Access or SQL)

I have just updated my system to Windows 7 and Map 3D 2011 (64 bit).  I did have all of my databases in Access, but it seems that none of them are connecting on my new system.  I have been told that the best solution is to move everything to SQL, which we have, but I am ignorant about using. 

Should I keep trying to solve the problem with the Access files that I know, or should I spend the time to learn SQL?

Any Suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
norman.yuan
in reply to: edwa8511

The connection to Access database only works if you have MS Access 64bit version installed, or you can downloaded MS Access engine 64-bit and install it to the computer.

The catch is if your computer (64-bit Windows) has 32bit MS Office (very likely, because MS recommend to use Office 32bit, rather than 64-bit in 64-bit machine) installed, you cannot install 64-bit Access engine. So, if you want to keep your data in Access DB, then you need to install 64bit Access Engine, and install 64-bit Office (if the user need to use Office).

If you are very interested in programming, going beyond Access DB and start learning a server type database system, such as SQL Server, is always a good investment., considering the powerful DB system SQL Server Express and its express version of Management Studio is free and often more than enough to serve a small/midium-sized office.

Message 3 of 4
edwa8511
in reply to: norman.yuan

Thanks for the info.

So I should ask our IT to reinstall my Office and us the 64 bit version?

Would I still need to install additional drivers for the Access data connection or would everything be included with the 64 bit Office?

Message 4 of 4
norman.yuan
in reply to: edwa8511

Even you installed 64-bit MS Office (Office2010), if it is standard version (e.g. not incudling MS Access), you stll have to download MS Access Database Engine 64-bit from MS site and install it. If other CAD users need to use the drawing (with DB links to the *.mdb/*accdb file set up) with 64-bit Acad, they also need MS Access Database Engine 64-bit installed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost