Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ribbons/Tables/Duct/Pipe

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CarrieHoffman02
1166 Views, 4 Replies

Ribbons/Tables/Duct/Pipe

I am sick of being forced to use the ribbon. Every problem I have (that I didn't have in MEP 2009) is fixed with the ribbon. I don't like it and I can't find anything on it. When it is docked, it takes up too much space. When minimized (which is what I have to maximize drawing space)I can't see it. I love my toolbars. They are always visible and easily accessible and don't take up much space (I have 1 toolbar with everything I need on it).

My complaint is how the tables work in MEP 2010. In MEP 2009 when I selected a cell, a toolbar would come up so that I could add columns, rows, merge, manage borders, etc. In MEP 2010 this toolbar doesn't come up. It is on the ribbon and a shortcut menu. (Being forced to use the ribbon or the shortcut menu) I want that toolbar back. If I need to make it, just tell me how.

Another complaint/comment - I draw alot of pipe and duct. When I need to add a break in the duct/pipe I would like the duct/pipe break to show up. This is hard to explain. See attachment. Currently I have a continuation block that I use and I have to explode the duct/pipe to erase one line. This is not good when I am working on a 3d drawing. I would like to be able put this break/continuation block on the duct/pipe without have to explode it.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

If you think that is bad. Wait until you find out your piping portion of your models increse file size by up to 8 fold. Easy test is bring in just the pipe from a 2006-2009 file and save it then compare the file size. Who is the one that screwed this up? I wonder. Oh that would be AutoDESK and it will be fixed in the next version. LOL,LOL,LOL. The HVAC portion is consistant and Works great without file size changes. The problem is, the pipe people should get educated from their HVAC programmers. Theroy is the same even though they are differant systems. Well have a great day. No disrespect AutoDesk everyone deserves a second chance. A Third, a Forth, a Fith.....
Message 3 of 5
jsd1
in reply to: CarrieHoffman02

Has anyone found a way to incorporate the duct breaks/continuation symbols into AutoCAD MEP? I was wondering if a MVPart could be created for that? I have just started using MEP and I'm not familiar with creating MVParts. Can someone explain (in layman terms) how to create one?

Thanks
Message 4 of 5

You could easily create a MEP pipe part or duct part that would show the break you are looking for. If you want an guide on how to easily create parts, the new autocad mep book that was recently released by Paul Aubin and the autodesk mep team is a good one. It has plenty of exercises and shows you how to create parts. Another good resource is www.cadlearning.com. Their mep videos are top notch.
Message 5 of 5

Unfortunately, the ribbon is not going away. You are just going to have to get used to it or move to another product. If you wanted to take the time to customize the ribbon, it is actually better than the toolbars. You can create one ribbon panel that has everything you need on it. As far as the breaks go, see my comment above. With autocad mep, you are building your product from the ground up using the same parts that the field would use to build the final product. It is unreasonable to expect Autodesk to put all of those parts into the program. Instead, they give you the tools to create everything that you need. MEP is a product that relates to real world parts. Are there parts in the real world that look like a break symbol???

Wait till you give Revit a go. If you thing that autocad mep is bad at getting something to look the way you want, you have seen nothing yet. As far as creating shop drawings with Autocad MEP, my company is making it a standard to issue a navisworks nwd 3D drawing with every 2d sheet that we produce. Our field has pc's loaded with the freedom viewer that allows them to see what we are seeing. Times are a changing and draftsmen are going to have to change with them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report