2745 Views, 18 Replies

MV Parts

i like to see more real world application, & real industry oriented MV Parts
included with ABS out of the box releases. The problem we are facing is,
even when we start asking questions from national manufacturer about
autodesk MV Parts they look at us like we are making up these stuffs. I
think, autodesk needs to show more effort in order to get more industries
excited & involved in creating & generating MV Parts, after all this was
one of the selling points for ABS that you can have real 3D smart objects.

Thanks
Matt
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Rhino48
in reply to: Anonymous

This needs to be repeated, and bumped to the top of the list every chance possible.
This product has about 7000 items that are never used in HVAC systems around here, and is missing about 45% of the items that are.
Please stop wasting time upgrading the interface and marketing scheme, and give us more actual functionality.
Message 3 of 19
tobysmith

Thank you for your comments, we are always trying to add more content that is beneficial to our users. You mention that we are missing 45% of the items used in HVAC systems in your area. Would you care to elaborate on what parts you need? I work on the AutoCAD MEP product and we are always looking for input regarding the catalog parts.

Everyone - Please feel free to post your requests in this discussion group, or email me directly: toby.smith@autodesk.com.

Thanks,

Toby Smith, PE LEED AP
Product Designer / MEP Content Specifier
AEC Solutions
Message 4 of 19
Rhino48

1. Examples from this week: Shutoff VAV Boxes in this part of the country are most often (99%+) scheduled with box mounted reheat coils. There is not one reheat coil in that group the "VAV Reheaat Coils" group that is the same size as the box outlet. And my parametric part wizard makes some sort of escher-esque box that is not at all usable.
2. No flexible connectors for piping systems.
3. Wall mount flush valve Water closets show the water connection in the back above the waste outlet.
Message 5 of 19
Rhino48

"Bevel Connectors" that are used around here are usually 45 degree, the ones in the ABS catalog look to be something else. I believe ASHRAE indicates that these should be 45 degrees, and usually 1/4 the width of the branch?

We also use a lot of "High Efficiency Takeoffs" that are a 45 degree "bevel" connector, directly to a round duct, usually with a damper.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

Electrical water heaters, Low-Boy, Tall, Commercials....

"Matt" wrote in message
news:5480165@discussion.autodesk.com...
i like to see more real world application, & real industry oriented MV Parts
included with ABS out of the box releases. The problem we are facing is,
even when we start asking questions from national manufacturer about
autodesk MV Parts they look at us like we are making up these stuffs. I
think, autodesk needs to show more effort in order to get more industries
excited & involved in creating & generating MV Parts, after all this was
one of the selling points for ABS that you can have real 3D smart objects.

Thanks
Matt
Message 7 of 19
Rhino48

Round cone diffusers. You have 2 choices of round neck, round louvered face diffusers , 5 inch neck and 6 inch neck. And an option for square neck, which our usual catalogs don't even show as something that exists IN ANY SIZE. IN 16 years, i've never seen one of those.

Why nothing like the Price RID, or RCD? SOMEONE Please pipe in and say "we never use those" or something to make me feel better about why they wouldn't be a STANDARD item in this software?

How about a parametric sidewall grille, with opposed blade damper? Why limit the sizing? The manufacturer's generally don't with the exception of sizing, etc.

You have one item under register. A 6x4 FLOOR REGISTER. Around here, a register is any grille that has deflectable blades. And we get one choice of size of floor register?

No parametric louvers. Of all the things that ALWAYS change in size from job to job.

How about an on the fly bill of material generator too, that gives you sheet metal poundage?

I haven't even TRIED doing plumbing yet.
Message 8 of 19
kchenault

I would like to see if possible more process piping in the program. I would love to see the program actually slope pipe and then put the proper 88 or 92 degree elbow for a true vertical down in a piping system. A lot of pipe in Mechanical design has to have slope for certain applications. It would be great to get that functionality.
Message 9 of 19
jscerbo

Hi,

I don't know if this thread is still viewed, but I agree with the lack of typical products being available to insert into my 3D models. I am doing coordination drawings and I am having to make some of my parts, which I am not getting paid to do. I just got done looking for a round cone diffuser with a 20" dia. neck. You know, 'K-mart' type. Anyway, I only found the same 5" & 6" dia diffusers available. The ones I am trying to use are Titus TMRA. I hope I don't have to go to the boss and say you need to spend more money if you want me to do my job properly. Who came up with the 2 small diffusers as being representattive of round cone diffusers. Why isn't anything larger, or even parametrically available?

Thanks, Joe
Message 10 of 19
cmguerra

I find that there is a general lack of avaible air terminal sizes. Rather than preset sizes we shoukd be able to enter connection size and face size and have the program generate a parametric version to scale. It's frustrating when 4 times of of 5 the program doesn't have a return grille of the size I want.
Message 11 of 19
brian.breslin

Extract Fans & AHU's are very poor in MEP, is any plans to get more \ better blocks. Take a manufacturers catalog and replicate it?

Ive gave up to be honest with MEP's, just been creating my own using dustwork as the base.
Message 12 of 19
brian.breslin

Agreed, that's why I did these.
Message 13 of 19
brian.breslin

And another thing, why does Butt weld not go past 150mm dia.?
Message 14 of 19
WSPLS

Wants:
Adjustable grille sizes, louvres. (at the moment I use duct fittings)
Cushion heads
More pumps, especially with a top discharge that is centered
Chillers, able to change the size. (doing a project at the moments with an aircooled chiller 7 metres long)

I use duct to create parts, fans, coils, ahu, vav boxes, grilles, diffusers, cushionheads, pumps, chillers etc, etc. I have been trying to learn how to create 3D models but unfortunately this takes time and time at work is something I lack.

I do not know what your background is or who you consult, but it might be worth talking to a draftee, who are the predominent users of MEP, having been working in the industry for 14 years I put my hand up but I don't come cheap. 🙂

It would also be worth talking to the suppliers and telling them it would be in there best interest to supply 3D models. I have talked to a few suppliers and most don't know Revit or MEP exists. Marketing the product to suppliers would be well worth your time.

MEP and Revit is the next transition to building services, like AutoCAD was to drafting machines. People don't like change, I had a hard time convincing my employer to switch to AutoCAD and if it is not made easy then people will not buy the product.
Message 15 of 19
alan.skipper

I still don't believe that Autodesk talk to engineers or drafters; certainly not UK ones. I've been suggesting that they do this for years; perhaps the product is not really designed to be used by engineers or drafters.
Message 16 of 19
Rui_Pedro_Silva

By the way... i was just working on my Autocad MEP 3D model when i faced the same problem that many people reported here, lack of many equipments on your mvparts, and from the other side, many that we make no use at all here in our office.

So just passing by to ask everybody if this problem has already some developments?

Does anyone know of a good website to get some HVAC Mvparts, i am looking for fan coil units, floor mounted if possible, i know there is some available right out of the box, but not exactly what i am looking for.

thank you guys... i'll be around to know more about this topic.

Message 17 of 19
alan.skipper

How about some MV parts that are actually used in the UK.

Message 18 of 19
dmurov

Hangers & Supports.  J-hangers, Clevis hangers, etc.  with all thread rods that can be set to a specific elevation (not per support length...current UK hanger system).  Rods should also be able to extend to sloping slabs (similar) to pipe.

Message 19 of 19
juliajin1

The ones I am aggravating to use are Titus TMRA. I achievement I don't accept to go to the bang-up and say you charge to absorb added money if you wish me to do my job properly. Who came up with the 2 baby diffusers as getting representattive of annular cone diffusers. Why isn't annihilation larger, or even parametrically available?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report