AutoCAD MEP Wishes

Contributor
Message 1 of 3 (1,347 Views)

Create 2d blocks that have 3d models attached to their definition!

1347 Views, 2 Replies
07-03-2012 11:48 AM

How does autocad create 2d blocks that turn into 3d models when you switch views?

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 2 of 3 (1,339 Views)

Re: Create 2d blocks that have 3d models attached to their definition!

07-17-2012 10:58 AM in reply to: sinannajm.m

This is the Autocad MEP Wishes forum and this question is not really appropriate for this forum.  But to answer your question, both Autocad MEP and Autocad Architecture use what is called a mvblock.  A mvblock has the ability to use a different block for each view.  So for instance, if you are in a 2D view (TOP), you can assign it a 2D block to display. You can then assign it a 3D block to display in you are in an isometric view.  I hope this answers your question.

Keith Brown AutoCAD MEP BLOG | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 | Revit 2014 | EastCoast CAD/CAM V6.1 | Visual Studio 2013
Distinguished Contributor
smbrennan85
Message 3 of 3 (1,333 Views)

Re: Create 2d blocks that have 3d models attached to their definition!

07-18-2012 06:37 AM in reply to: sinannajm.m

To expand on Keith's response, you can also control each of the 6 views and what block(s) are displayed. So, if you are doing an elevation view, you can create a mvpart that has an elevation block while looking at the front. It doesn't have to be a solid. You can also attach as many blocks you want. I'm sure there's a limit, but I can't see a reason anyone would come close to that limit.

For product feedback, use this link:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community