cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
ssg73
485 Views, 4 Replies

3D Plumbing

I need an ability to draw plumbing piping just like the mechanical part of does.When you draw the duct work it automatically puts it into 3d view. I need that to happen in the plumbing package. It would be a time saver for me if that would be available. Having to draw the plan view out seperately from the sanitary riser is just a whole other task. It's a waist of my time to use this software.I need 3d capabilities, can Autodesk provide? If not I will look else where.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ssg73

3D DWV and other plumbing fittings have been added
to ABS 2004.  This allows you to draw plumbing systems using the 3D
capabilities of the PipeAdd command.  Although you could probably use the
one line display rep to display these systems in 3D isometric, I am not sure
that that drawing could pass as a riser as you suggest.

Tieing in the riser functionality that you must do
now manually using Isometric Schematics to the 2D Schematic Pipe is not
easy...

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
need an ability to draw plumbing piping just like the mechanical part of
does.When you draw the duct work it automatically puts it into 3d view. I need
that to happen in the plumbing package. It would be a time saver for me if
that would be available. Having to draw the plan view out seperately from the
sanitary riser is just a whole other task. It's a waist of my time to use this
software.I need 3d capabilities, can Autodesk provide? If not I will look else
where.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

nm
Message 4 of 5
DuckMan

>3D DWV and other plumbing fittings have been added to >ABS 2004

I'm using ABS 2006 and it's still in 2D
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

It's possible to do 3D plumbing design with ABS 2006. I recently did it on a project... I had one day to do it and I figured it would be less time consuming to figure out how to do it in 3D than to do the floor plan, isometrics, etc.

But you do have to do some manual set up work before hand.

1st open up the mechanical piping system definitions.
Right click on the "Pipe Definition Systems" in the left hand column and click "New"

Set up your piping layers (ie Domestic Cold water, gas, hot water, sanity sewer, etc). DO NOT start with any of the mechanical piping as a basis.

On the next tab "Design Rules" enter in the abbreviation, but do not specify a system group, the only ones available pertain to mechanical piping. The set your layer key and then manually set up the discipline designator (P), then the major and minor 1. You can set all of them up, but it's not necessary.

This is where it gets tricky (and took me about 30 minutes to finally figure it out). At this point, hit apply and then "OK" or just hit OK. Now go to "Add Pipe" and draw a section of pipe for each new pipe you created. Don't worry about the color or linetype at the moment... Don't worry about connecting the pipe to anything, just draw the pipes on the sheet.

Once that is completed then open the "Piping Systems Definitions" again. Click on a pipe you just created, ignore the 'Rise/Drop" and "Other" tabs and go to "Display Properties" tab.

You will see a list of 8 items that start with "1 line" check the box in the "Style override" column and then click the "Edit display properties" icon in the upper right hand corner. Highlight all display properties in the box and then specify your standards for the "Layer" (this is why it's important to draw the pipes you created, once you draw them, then the layer will show up in the list, if you haven't drawn the pipe yet, then the layer will not appear) "color", "linetype", "lineweight", and "LTscale".

ABS is not as intuitive for the plumbing in 3D as it is for the mechanical, but let's face it plumbing design is considered the red headed step child of the industry...

Hopefully the attachment will work... I've attached a portion of a job I did in 3D. Included is the model tab, work tab, enlarged tab and a sanitary sewer isometric. Once I did the design in 3D, then all the rest was just a matter of changing the settings, for example for the iso metric, I changed the setting from ABS Ceiling -2 to ABS ISO -Schematic, then I clicked the "Model" button at the bottom of the page and changed the 3D view to SW isometric.

Now I'm working on getting the schedules to work properly and that is a task in and of itself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report