Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why will duct not automatically create parts?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Kayrondad
591 Views, 1 Reply

why will duct not automatically create parts?

okay, so i have a duct at 12'-3.5" elevation and another identical one, on the same x,y plane at 10'-8" elevation.  I try to draw a connecting piece of duct to them which MEP should automatically create 45, 30, etc. elbow options, but it does not occur.  all I get is a straight piece of duct maintaining the same elevation as it's origin.

I know it can take the parts because if I isolate them I can manually insert 45s, draw polylines to create the intersect, copy a like piece of duct and trim it to fit.  Seems that this method is stupid considering MEP is CAD on steroids.  What the hell is with this crap? DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER????  too much time spent doing this to continue...there has to be a solution other than a Glock 9 in the program's cranium!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Kayrondad

What kind of fittings do you have in your routing preference?  If you don't have an elbow assigned that will work, it will not give an auto solution.  Auto solutions are based on your routing preferences.  Manually placing pieces of duct and comparing it to not being able to auto route isnt really fair. 

I havent used the out of the box duct fittings for a couple years so I am not sure what is available or not available but make sure that the radius of the fitting is not restricting what you are able to place.  Maybe the autoroute is trying to place a transition and it can't make it work which is why it isnt giving any solutions.  Have you tried selecting the higher duct first and then the lower duct?  If that doesnt work, select the lower duct first and then the higher elevation.  Sometimes that helps.  Pull your duct back to give more room between the open ends.  Maybe it just needs a couple more inches to calculate a solution.  If that doesnt work, trying increasing the distance in height between the two ducts and see if it will auto route then.  If you can't get it to work at all then I would take a guess and say that there is something in your routing preference that is not allowing it to autoconnect. 

Sorry I couldnt be of greater help, but I use the Eastcoast CAD addin and they have a auto transition utility that will generally connect any to ducts together.  It will even put in elbows if the two ducts are at the same elevation but have different normal vectors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost