Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

round/oval flex duct connections

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Keith.Brown
3360 Views, 6 Replies

round/oval flex duct connections

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the connection on flex duct from round to oval?  Or to be more specific, duplicate flex duct so i have both a round/round and a round/oval flex?  Most linear diffusers have oval connections on them not round which makes it difficult to connect the flex duct to.  The workaround is to create the graphics for the diffusers with an oval connector but place the actual connection with a round connector.  Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ScottL-88
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Use a round to oval transition between the diffuser and flex duct.

ScottL

Message 3 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: ScottL-88

To be honest, that is not a good solution.  That is not what we will be installing in the field so I do not want to do it in my drawing.  Flex duct should be able to go from a round connection to an oval connection.  This is a real world situation and should therefore be possible with MEP.  My current solution was to just create the mvpart with an oval looking connection but place a round connector on it.  It still causes problems during clash detection but is the best I can come up with so far.

Message 4 of 7

Hi kbrown-

You state "Flex duct should be able to go from a round connection to an oval connection. " 

This seems to imply that the flex should actually transition from round to oval.  Is this done with standard round flex then bent into submission around the oval connector, and attached with a compression band?  Sorry for my ignorance... just trying to understand how this works in the field.  Any images you have would be great... as would any sample drawings of this condition of what you would expect.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7

Hi Martin,

That is exactly how it is done.  The round flex duct would conform to the oval connector on the linear diffuser.  So the program would require two different types of flex ducts.  One that had a round/round connection and one that had a round/oval connection.  Having a oval connection on the linear diffuser allows to diffuser to have a much lower profile which is key in alot of situations.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Hi Keith and Martin,

I have had the need for flexible duct to go from Oval to Oval, besides the Round to Oval and Round to Round.

Has anyone developed these since Keiths' posting?

During online coordination meetings using Navisworks, it is tough to explain that there is not a conflict.

Also, is there a way to ajust the pitch of flexible duct in other than the top view?   

Message 7 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Bob,

As far as I know there has been no solution, but I think I will experiment with trying to make the ductwork myself.  I am not sure if i will be able to modify the files but it seems simple enough.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost