Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

orientation issues for the newbie

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
bil-with-one-L
506 Views, 10 Replies

orientation issues for the newbie

Hello All,

I've mentioned before that I'm new to ABS, not to mention ADT, so I hope this question isn't a dumb one. --

I'm adding horizontal duct (24"wx8"h) to an existing vertical run (24"wx20"d). I'm adding it in a plan view, my compass is parallel to that plane, but it keeps forcing my new duct to attach as if it's 8"wx24"h. --

what I've really been hoping would happen is that a lovely 90 degree, mitered, transitional elbow would simply connect the vertical run to the horizontal run and then I could move on to the next task. --

what's been happing over the last 8 hours would require a book to explain and in brief I obviously am doing something wrong. --

I'm signed up for training in August but I would like to get this small job done using ABS to put my bosses at ease (i convinced them to upgrade from ACAD2002 LT). --

So I'm open to any thoughts on what I'm probably doing wrong, since I doubt that the program is doing something wrong. --

Thanks to any and all advice.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
bduvall
in reply to: bil-with-one-L

I would change to isometric view and draw the duct. As you are drawing, you can enter "P" to change the orientation of your drawing plane of your compass. Also note, when inserting fittings, "B" will change the base point of the insertion point. Good luck. Hang in there. You made a wise choice of upgrading.
Message 3 of 11

I'll try that... thanks
Message 4 of 11
jmcfaddn

Get a refund while you still have a chance, wait for another 4 upgrades, then consider buying.
Message 5 of 11

ouch! --

Actually I'm quite impressed so far. I tried to tinker with ADT a few years ago and had trouble picking it up on my own. With 2004 I feel it's a lot more intuitive, I'm amazed at how quickly I've picked it up... I've really only played with it for about two weeks and I've got a 2 story building almost done. --

Nope... I'm not throwing in the towel... I think Autodesk is doing a fine job at developing these vertical products and I hope to see ADT and ABS become even more parametrically driven in the near future... I've played with Inventor and Revit too and I think that's the way of the future and this release has my excited and hopeful for that future.--

oops.. got off track.. thanks anyway.

Bil (with one L)
Message 6 of 11
jmcfaddn

Done in what means? Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing?
How did you do your Mechanical equipment, the catalogs are very limited? I'm stilling building FPB's, grilles, Fan Coil Units, chillers, etc.
Message 7 of 11

Done with the Architectural... I need to add a few details here and there including a roof and a manhole in the floor.. also need to adjust a wall that changed per the architect since I finished the first version. --

As for MEP this is a small job (hence the reason a I'm even attempting it without training) It's just got a furnace, some duct, and some piping in a 2 story 60'x28' building. --

I guess the point being that I could have built this in 3D in vanilla AutoCAD, but they didn't even have that here.. they had LT and well... it's great for occasional users but not for someone who CAD's all day every day. And certainly not for a 3D building, right? So I had to convince them to buy either full blown ACAD or ABS. --

We're a small company and budgets are tight so by getting ABS and the subscription we qualified for the 0% financing... vanilla ACAD wouldn't have allowed us to take advantage of that offer. Since we're a Mechanical and Plumbing installation type of company... it worked out for us. --

Personally I have no Background with HVAC or Plumbing... so the tool is also helping me to become familiar with the elements of teh trades.. so once again for me... it's a win - win - win situatuion. --

You seem to be less excited about ABS than myself, are you considering or using other products to accomplish your jobs?
Message 8 of 11

I accidentally discovered that the control (ctrl) key toggles between base points for fittings... I like that better than the key sequence "B" "Enter".
Message 9 of 11
jmcfaddn

We've got a 15 building campus in plain AutoCAD 2d drawings.
Trying to convert them to Bldg Sys. It's turning out, not to be an easy task. Finding the catalogs to be extremely limited. Also finding the software not to be complete in many aspects. As well as receiving fatal errors more so than I'd like. It wouldn't be bad if they weren't advertising it as a finished product ready for productional purposes.
Message 10 of 11

i can see how trying to use a new version... especially one that doesn't have every option pre defined, as a tool to document a 15 building campus could be frustrating. --

after all... I'm looking for a 12x6 grille (or maybe register) but there isn't one so I guess i need to create one... for me it forces me to learn something new... but if I had 15 buildings to document.. i'd be feeling a little pressure. --

Good luck with that.
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Jody -

I can't help but notice - you
really should contact your reseller and arrange for some
training.  You are definitely spending a lot time looking for features and
functionality that are there but not necessary apparent to you. 
Additionally, a lot of your questions concern AutoCAD functionality as
well. 
Granted, our early releases could
have been better, but we have many success stories of folks using ABS 3 and ABS
2004.  Check out our website and hear it directly from Flack &
Kurtz.  We do believe the product is capable or doing what's needed and we
are busy working making it better.  We will continue to help you here on
the newsgroup, but this forum is voluntary and you would be much better served
by formal training.

Let me know if you are unsuccessful with your
reseller - I can put you directly in touch with someone from Autodesk
Professional Services.  You have a lot do and I doubt you'll be wanting to
continue to search out functionality the hard way...

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost