Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple select and ribbon frustration

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4742 Views, 5 Replies

multiple select and ribbon frustration

we just got 2010 MEP up and running. we use it as a 2d drafting tool. we don't do any 3D stuff at all.

when i select multiple items like lines, circles, leaders and text my ribbon always collapse to a greened out tab labeled "Multiple Objects" and then to do anything with those objects i have to go up to the ribbon and hit the "Home" tab to get to normal modify commands. i hate it. if i choose the command first, then there is no ribbon collapse, but i don't like working that way. is there a way to stop the "Multiple Objects" tab for taking over?

thank you.
Eric Edited by: like2pedal on Aug 6, 2009 10:32 AM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
xincao
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Eric

AutoCAD 2010 has the configuration option in "Option" dialog to take over the "Multiple Objects" tab, you can check the enclosed image to where to find the configuration option.
On the screen, you could find that there're three options you could select to not show the tab or double click to show.

BTW: if you can not see the enclosed image, here's the location guide with text: type "option" in command line -> switch to "Selection" tab on Option dialog -> click "Contextual Tab States..." on the left-bottom corner -> change options in "Contextual tab display" field on the small dialog.

-Justin Cao
Product Designer of AutoCAD MEP
Justin
Product Designer of AutoCAD MEP
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

thank you so much! that is MUCH better.

Eric
Message 4 of 6
katewood1989
in reply to: xincao

I have Autocad 2015 and it look as though those 3 options are unavailable when I click on the 'Contextual tab series' under 'ribbon options'

May you please advise. I am having the same frustration. Please find attached.

thank you,

Katherine

Message 5 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: katewood1989

in 2015 they removed the ability to turn off the contextual tab state.  In the past the ribboncontextselect variable would turn it on/off but this has also been removed from the software.  Currently the only way that I know of is to go into the CUI and under contextual tabs select the tab and then under properties change the Contextual Display Type from Full with focus to Full without focus.  This will still bring up the tab but will not automatically switch to it.  You will have to do this for each tab you are having issues with.

I am not sure why autodesk removed this ability.  It might have something to do with them also removing the classical workspace in Vanilla AutoCAD.  In otherwords going full force with the ribbon and forcing users to use it the way that they want.

Multiple Objects.png

Message 6 of 6
smbrennan
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Here's 2 separate ideas:

Option 1 - If you're really unhappy with the Contextual Ribbons, then completely remove all of the contextual tab states from your CUI. To do this, open your CUI Editor by typing in 'CUI' in the command prompt. In the left pane, you'll see "Ribbon," Expand this, and you should see "Contextual Tab States." (See Image #1) Expand this. Here, is a pre-defined list of what I believe is every type of object "selected." Some objects have nothin, others have a Ribbon Tab associated with them. Simply right click on that particular tab, and select "Remove." See Image #2.

Option 2 - If you're like me, and see a potential increase in effeciency when an object is selected, then consider taking the time to customizing your Contextual Tab States. For example, if you select a multi-leader, what might you need to do with it? Check it's layer? Add a leader, remove a leader? Change it's style? Well, by default, the layer and Leader panels are on different ribbon tabs. So, I created a new Ribbon Tab called "Multileader Selected." I added the Layers, Leaders, and Display Order to that ribbon, and then added that to the Multileader Selected Contextual Ribbon State. Formore information on how to do this, use this link:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/browse#WS1a9193826455f5ff4e421d7d11bf108001d...

Don't think of how the software is slowing you down. Instead, look at the feature, and how it can work to your advantage.

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost