Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xattach File Corruption

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
ewfranklin607
1645 Views, 14 Replies

Xattach File Corruption

Can anyone tell me hoe to replace the file that xattach runs. I get an error message when I try to run the command. I have done a repair and it didn't help. I don't want to do a complete reinstall unless that is the only option.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

The version is 2012 MEP

Message 3 of 15
jcleghorn
in reply to: ewfranklin607

Do you get the same error message when using the dialogue box "XR" command?

Message 4 of 15
ewfranklin607
in reply to: jcleghorn

Yes. I get it anytime I try to run xattach from the command line or the dialogue box.

Message 5 of 15

Can you let me know what the exact wording of the error message is you are receiving?

If appropriate you might attach a screenshot.

Thanks!

Holger Klöcker
Message 6 of 15

This is the message that comes up when I try to run the file. I don't get the screen that allows choices of the xref. This error comes up instantly. See Attachment

Message 7 of 15

Okay, it looks like AutoCAD has still some invalid file in cache that it tries to access when you run the XATTACH command. Let's try the following:

Type FILEDIA and set it to 0

Run the XATTACH command again. You will be prompted on the command line for the filepath to the DWG to attach. 

Enter something like: 

c:\Test\Drawing.dwg

Does this let you attach the file in question?

Can you run the XATTACH command again properly after changing FILEDIA back to 1?

Holger Klöcker
Message 8 of 15

FILEDIA was already set to 1. I still have the same error.

Message 9 of 15

Type FILEDIA and set it to 0

Run the XATTACH command again. You will be prompted on the command line for the filepath to the DWG to attach. 

Enter something like: 

c:\Test\Drawing.dwg

Does this let you attach the file in question?

Can you run the XATTACH command again properly after changing FILEDIA back to 1?

Holger Klöcker
Message 10 of 15

I apologize for misreading the previous message. I set to 0 and I could attach with the command line but not the dialogue box. Also with FILEDIA set to zero I cannot open drawings except with the command line. No doalogue box appears.

Message 11 of 15

When I change it back to 1 I still get the same error message.

Message 12 of 15

The only other option to check - apart from performing a reinstall - is to test with another user account. 

Can you setup a new user account on the machine just for testing purposes (use local admin permission) and check if the issue is also occuring when starting MEP in this new profile?

It it does, it is likely that this is caused by some user profile corruption and we can try resetting the profile you are normally using. 

If if also occurs in the new profile, I am afraid the next best option is to try and perform a reinstall.

Holger Klöcker
Message 13 of 15

I think I am just going to do a complete reinstall sometime this week. Thanks for your help.

Message 14 of 15

OK, that makes sense.

When performing the uninstall, you might want to follow the instructions given here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS45252

This will ensure a clean uninstallation of AutoCAD MEP.

Holger Klöcker
Message 15 of 15

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost