AutoCAD MEP General

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 11 of 18 (378 Views)

Re: Where's the power of E in MEP?

02-14-2013 05:26 AM in reply to: s.lawrence

If you're using cable tray, have you figured out how to get your tray to actually look like tray in a 3D view (or even Navisworks), and not just one giant extruded rectangle?

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 12 of 18 (375 Views)

02-14-2013 05:31 AM in reply to: s.lawrence

Until Autodesk treat it as cable tray and not ducting it won't behave as cable tray!!!!

Alan!

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 13 of 18 (374 Views)

02-14-2013 05:32 AM in reply to: alan.skipper

Actually, back in 2009 it actually LOOKED like cable tray, sides, rungs, and all.

Shawn B.

To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Valued Contributor
s.lawrence
Message 14 of 18 (373 Views)

02-14-2013 05:33 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

Hi,

Yeah, the actual tray usually looks ok. I use the medium duty return flange tray, but before I can just input a size and draw it I have to click the little arrow next to the 'preferneces' button. I then have to click on each of the parts and specify mdeium duty return flange parts for each piece-tray, tees etc. Then it seems to draw ok. But then if you decide to add some trunking, you have to do the same again but for the trunking fittings. Now the annoying part; click on the + in the middle of the cable tray, and it still draws in trunking! So you have to go and repeat the process. Incredibly tedious and non-productive. And usually halfway through it seems like the prgram decides its bored of drawing the bends you specified, so throws in it's own. And the more you draw, the more the fittings 'invert' themselve. You'll know what I mean when you see it :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 15 of 18 (362 Views)

02-14-2013 05:50 AM in reply to: s.lawrence

How do you cope with gussetted bends and tees in both tray and trunking?

Alan

Valued Contributor
s.lawrence
Message 16 of 18 (357 Views)

02-14-2013 05:57 AM in reply to: alan.skipper

Literally just use what's available, I use the 3 segmented bend (until MEP decides to throw in a 300mm radius bend and I have to change it back again!) and for Tees I just use the normal, ungusseted Tee. Fortunately we don't go into that level of detail on our models, but I can see how it is frustrating. I just wish it would stop inverting itself!

Stu

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 17 of 18 (355 Views)

02-14-2013 06:00 AM in reply to: s.lawrence

Stu - What profile are you using? I don't see the medium duty return flange you speak of? I use the US Imperial.  I attached snapshot of what I see. It also had one of each tray (minus the "unspecified" type). They all look the same in a 3D view. Is there something in the display manager I've totally missed? Or is this what you see too?

Shawn B.

Valued Contributor
s.lawrence
Message 18 of 18 (347 Views)

02-14-2013 06:09 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

Think that's where your missing tray may be-I use the AutoCAD MEP UK version. Attached a pic of the default palette and cable tray pref box on my comp:

My catalogues in options also points to the containment (UK).apc. Hope that helps!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD MEP Category!

The AutoCAD MEP forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community