Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT CONTROLS THE TEXT SIZE FOR ANNOTATION TAGS?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Kayrondad
31018 Views, 3 Replies

WHAT CONTROLS THE TEXT SIZE FOR ANNOTATION TAGS?

Okay, so I set up a drawing with what I thought was going to be universal settings for all other drawings in this specific project.  I have drawin my duct and pipe and using the stock BOD tag went and tagged my duct.  The text in the first floor duct and pipe is good, exactly as I want it.

Now though, on the second floor, all the text is larger and I do not know what I am missing.  I have gone pretty deep to see what is different but not finding that little bitty thing I know one of you out there knows!  Help please.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
davidclark70
in reply to: Kayrondad

Did you try "textsize" command?  That has worked for me with a similar issue.

Message 3 of 4
rmiller1973

Basically the MEP label/tag text size as well as Devices use the Annotation Plot Size to help decide what size they will eventially display at (see image below).

Anno Plot Size.jpg

I understand why it was done this way but I'm not sure most AutoCAD users think in the same manner. When I set up a scaled block I start with the plot size in mind. For example, if I had a block that I wanted to be 3/32" when plotted I would create it to be 3/32" in size and scale it up accordingly.

For some reason AEC labels/tags and devices use another approach altogether. They are created using a 'unitless' base where 1 unit would equal the Annotation Plot Size. So basically it could be 3/32" in one file, 1/8" in another, and 1/4" in another all the while being scaled by the drawing annotation scale.

We have a template that we use for our labels and devices. It has been setup with the Annotation Plot Size set at 1" (our default template is set at 3/32") ... we then set up two annotation scales -> 1'-0"=1'-0" (12 = 12) and 1/8" Scale representation (1 = 9). The one to one scale (1'-0"=1'-0") allows me to know that a 1" unit will come out to be 3/32" scaled when inserted without fear of it being to big or too small. Where as the 1/8" representation allows me to verify sizing and what it would look like in a 'normal' scale setting of 1/8"=1'-0" (so 3/32" scaled up would be 9" ... this annoscale will simulate that).

Setup.jpg

I took this route after having to deal with the headaches of trying to figure out why the device connectors were being set at 0.00026746" vs 0.75". Or wondering why the item was scaled correctly in one file but was too big in another ... I just found it was much easier to develop them outside of the working files.

Anyway, you might be able to solve the initial issue by changing the Annotation Plot Scale to match between each file. Otherwise you might need to recreate the label using the same process listed above.

Rob

Message 4 of 4
Keith.Brown

It could be possible that the text style being used by the tag is defined differently between the two drawings.  It is worth checking out suppose if none of the other suggestions worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost