Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating model to project north

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jalvino
2325 Views, 6 Replies

Rotating model to project north

Need help rotating a building that was exported from Revit. The BIM coordinator is claiming it is too difficult to rotate the model to project north for coordination. Could someone explain how to rotate a model From True North back to Project North? I can only find explanations for Revit and its actually the opposite of what I am looking to do. 

Thanks, Jay

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: jalvino

I assume that you are working in AutoCAD MEP.

Have you tried selecting everything and then using the rotate command to rotate all objects to the correct rotation?

Message 3 of 7
VitalyF

Hi,

Rotate the model not a good idea

You must draw orthogonally in custom UCS

Then collect a few buildings in the Master Plan in the WCS ...

Vitaly

Message 4 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: VitalyF

Changing the UCS won't really do you any good if your backgrounds are at a different rotation then the Revit model.  Either the revit model or your backgrounds will need to rotate.  Once they are rotated you can then change your UCS if you want.

And yes it is quite possible to have the revit model be at a different rotation then the backgrounds that you receive.  This happens when the architect draws in 2D and the GC wants to coordinate in 3D.  They will hire someone to draw the job in REVIT and when they start they will rotate the backgrounds and possibly move the model to make it line up with project north vs true north.   It is far easier to rotate the one model from revit back to where it belongs instead of all of the models generated from the different contractors.  This used to happen consistently with a GC that I used to work with.  The guys in the trenches ganged up on them and everyone skipped several coordination meetings in a row until they rectified the situation.  

Message 5 of 7
jalvino
in reply to: Keith.Brown

I think that is what we are going to have to do. I was able to rotate the UCS but it's a hassle.
Message 6 of 7
VitalyF

Spoiler

This tool will import one or more User Coordinate Systems from an external drawing. This was developed to ease the use of shared coordinates from Revit into AutoCAD®. Though you can use it for any sort of UCS sharing.

Our typical workflow for this is to set up our grid in AutoCAD® the way we want to work. Import that grid into Revit® and align it to the Revit® grid. Then export the shared coordinates to that Grid file. And so that we don't have to do that with every single design file we use, and so we don't have to have a large number of templates, we just import the shared UCS from our grid drawing using this command.

When you start the command, it will prompt you for a drawing. Select the drawing that contains the UCS you want to import into the current drawing. Then it will prompt you with a list of all the saved UCS's in that drawing. If the only UCS is the WCS, you will get a blank list. Select one or more UCS's using Shift or Ctrl keys and hit OK. If there's an existing UCS with the same name as the one you are importing, it will overwrite the existing on in the drawing. Once completed, you can find the UCS(s) in the drop down below the ViewCube or from the ribbon or you can type "UCS" then "R" to restore, then type the name of your UCS.  USD 0.99

shared coordinates from Revit into AutoCAD®

Maybe this will help?

Message 7 of 7
jalvino
in reply to: VitalyF

Thanks Vitaly. I was able to rotate the ucs but the problem I am having is my ucs will change when I am working in multiple viewports ( ex Top, Isometric, Front, Right) When I go to make an offset with my conduits or try to even run parallel conduits it won't let me. It even happens when I am working in just top view. Randomly it will change from the saved UCS I had. Also I was told that the University I am working for refuses to rotate the model so we will have to deal with it. It would be to big of a hassle to rotate my model everytime I want to run a clash detection in navisworks. I am at a loss......

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost