Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overall conduit length, end to end including fittings???

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
mike.gustus
8143 Views, 44 Replies

Overall conduit length, end to end including fittings???

Is there an easy way to do this? I would like to be able to "Select connected branch" on a conduit and have it give me an end to end length.

Thanks.
44 REPLIES 44
Message 41 of 45
M4SSIV3CAD
in reply to: M4SSIV3CAD

REALLY? DID I STUMP YOU GUYS? amazing cuz im a total n00b. Isnt this problem important to you guys? isnt this a major isssue? in the MEP world when we are running pipes, conduit, etc. our bosses need to know the lengths of specific runs (by name, usually they want it on a spreadsheet to give to the PM) SO THE CAN PROCURE MATERIALS!!!

im not trying to be disrespectful but this is honestly rediculous, am i doing something wrong!?

THIS IS A SHOUT OUT TO ANY AUTOCAD GUYS LISTENING.

this functionally should be baked into AC MEP! talk to your developers!

untill these products can do more, ie. more functionallity then simply space filling models, untill these products can help the field workers AND THE MONEY GUYS..THIS IS NOT YET A MATURE PRODUCT.

oh, but you know the AC company wants us all to upgrade to Revit MEP and spend more money to fix problems we dont have...while not fixing the problems we DO have.

it seems more important to the AC company to sell us on a new product every year than to fix bugs, or functionality issues!!!

Message 42 of 45
VitalyF
in reply to: M4SSIV3CAD

Hi,

Try to use this method >> 

You can also group the conduit length by Style Name, System Name or another properties.

Best regards,

Vitaly

Message 43 of 45
Hertz_Hound
in reply to: mike.gustus

All I ever need is a total bill of material. About the only time I am ever asked for specific run length, is for getting the AIC rating right for feeder size breakers. For that I just start a spreadsheet and use the conduit length Comand. Most of the time those values are are figured out without the use of CAD.

I have also used a MV part connector to hold information about a run. Sometimes it's helpful so you can schedule them to see if you have all the required circuits. Smaller branch circuits I usually use a 10"x10" j-box on the end of the conduit. I add the property sets to that. Then schedule and tag all the junction boxes for circuits.

All feeder size conduits get measured with TruTape. The price of copper is to high to take the chance that the number is off between the field an drawings. Although it probably would be a good idea to have the measurements from CAD to check that the field guy's aren't over ordering. I know a guy that got fired for purposely over ordering feeders so there was more scrap. He knew the estimators square off the measurements, so if he took the underground as the crow flies, he could scrap the difference. He probably should have gone to jail
Message 44 of 45
davidclark70
in reply to: Hertz_Hound

I need to provide my office a feeder schedule of every feeder on our larger projects that includes To-From, # of conduit, size of conduits, length, etc. and come up with the total length of each size of conductors.  This serves many purposes such as tracking and purchasing bulk copper. 

There are some difficult ways that are prone to error, like using systems or style names to get each feeder length, and it still does not have the intelligence of conductors and can not make an actual feeder schedule that is useful.

Moving into the Revit world, Revit can't even do it out of the box.  Every time you put a pull box in the run or modify a conduit it breaks the intelligence.  You have to buy a $1,500 add in to be able to achieve this.  Like others have said software called AutoCAD MeP (notice the small 'e') or Revit that we spend an enormous amount of money on should have this built in.

And yes, a few years ago I put this in the Autodesk suggestion box.

Message 45 of 45
Hertz_Hound
in reply to: mike.gustus

When routing conduit through straight troughs used as pull boxes, I have created a style that has the plan view contour turned off. This way you can break the conduit at the trough and use the "hidden style" through the trough. It will keep the run complete. I like to do that more for relocating conduit than for scheduling.

I never tried to hide an LB inside a trough to accomplish the same thing, butI I am sure it's possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost