Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MVpart with materials

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
menline
913 Views, 9 Replies

New MVpart with materials

Alle added materials are gone when I make a MVpart in the content builder from this block.

Is this normal ? and if yes is there a way to avoid this.

Menno

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blackeagle1245
in reply to: menline

you mean the layers or colours?. Cause mep creates the part in one colour if you dont make special arrangements

Message 3 of 10
menline
in reply to: blackeagle1245

No I mean the material

Now the MVpart takes the color of the layer when I Render the drawing instead of the added material such as sinc, or steel.

Menno

Message 4 of 10
blackeagle1245

My opinion is it just takes the layers colour what you specify while making the mvpart. If you want to see different colours, before making the mvpart just put them in one layer then change the colours part by part. Otherwise if it stays in bylayer then you will see the picture you put here.

Message 5 of 10
freedom1k

Yes. We're having the same problem. I'm looking for a solution. it seems to be when the parts catalog generates the view blocks it fails to carry over the material. I went into each view 3d-block and reapplied a material to all surfaces. the MvPart still ignores the material when displaying in realistic mode or exporting to 3dDWF. Has anyone found a cure?
Message 6 of 10
Keith.Brown
in reply to: freedom1k

Materials do not transfer when creating block based parts.  You will need to reassign them after inserting the part.  It would be nice if they would allow you to attach materials to layer keys instead of layers.  This would allow the material to auto attach to the object upon insertion in the drawing.

Message 7 of 10
freedom1k
in reply to: Keith.Brown

True Keith. But they do not seem to be created with non-block based Parts. do you have procedure? Pipes, fittings and other MEP Catalog Objects also do not have a material property. We found this the hard way when importing Models into Navisworks Simulate, all MEP objects were "black", but ACA AEC Objects were fine. We've had to re-apply materials after inserting any of the MEP Catalog Objects. It's a shame since this has to be done in every drawing and when inserting new Parts. There are a couple scripts out there to apply materials/textures to objects. It would be nice it Autodesk would provide a Material option as-with all the architectural AEC objects. Just to be clear we're refering to Surface Material, not Textual type materials like in System/Routing perference. Thanks! Kelley
Message 8 of 10
Keith.Brown
in reply to: freedom1k

All catalog objects in mep will go to a consistant layer upon insertion.  This means that they layer an object goes on is consistant between drawings.  This means that you can insert materials into your drawing and attach those materials to a layer and then all objects on that layer will be assigned that material.  The two commands MATERIALS and MATERIALATTACH will get you where you need to go.

Message 9 of 10
Keith.Brown

I forgot to mention that if you make the changes in your template then you will only have to do it once.

Message 10 of 10
freedom1k

MATERIALATTACH was what I overlooked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost