Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWNavigator issue: 2014 MEP Objects in XRef do not show up.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
mdhutchinson
1151 Views, 17 Replies

NWNavigator issue: 2014 MEP Objects in XRef do not show up.

We have an issue which needs a solution. I've posted to our subscription web page.

It would seem that any MEP objects that are nested within a XRef will not show up in NWNavigator.  However, the same drawing file opened in Navisworks Manage will show the MEP objects.

Is anyone else seeing this, and can confirm this to be an issue?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Keith.Brown
in reply to: mdhutchinson

You just need to go into the options for nwcnavigator and tell it to include the xrefs.  I believe the command is nwcopt to bring up the options.

Message 3 of 18
Keith.Brown

The command is NWOPT and the dialog looks like the picture below.  Just include a check in the Convert Xrefs.

nwopt.png

Message 4 of 18
mdhutchinson
in reply to: Keith.Brown

I didn't know about this NWOPT command.

Thanks.

However, this still does not work... the toggle to include XRefs was already checked. I unchecked it first... then Refreshed NWNavigator. None of the Objects nested in the XRef showed up at all. I then checked it and Refreshed NWNavigator and the NONE MEP showed up... but not the MEP objects did not...

So I am in the same boat.

Message 5 of 18
Keith.Brown

Its actually doing the same thing on my setup.  It will convert 2D line work but none of the mep items.  I don't believe its a display issue related to the standard display representation either as that seems to be working fine.

Maybe you should ask this question in the navisworks forum.

Message 6 of 18
mdhutchinson

I was thinking about that... but since it is was MEP objects I chose to post here.

Message 7 of 18
jasonschaat

We're seeing the same issue.  I thought I was losing my mind.  What's weird is it just started happening recently and even then some parts would come over and then eventurally nothing.  I've filed a ticket on the subscription site also.  I've tried everything:  Settings, updates, re-installs, you name it!!  This is a critical issue for us.  We NWCOUT for Manage/Simulator and use NWNavigator extensively when detailing.  48 seats.

Message 8 of 18
mdhutchinson

On our subscription web page, I have requested a Hot Fix...  they sent me a form to fill out... it is a huge issue for use also... I about have the form finished and hope to send it back soon. I think the issue is broader than just MEP object. We recently needed to install Autodesk Fabrication CAD Mep viewer. The viewer seemed that it would not work... it wasn't until on of our users did 'Edit Object Display' on the XRef... and select the only Display Configuration that was in the file. The CADMep objects showed up then... this showed up in NWNavigator... but in another instance, we had electrician drawing... the enabler let it show up when xreffed, but this time not in NWNavigator.

Perhaps you could add to your support request and lobby for a hot fix?

you game?

Message 9 of 18
mdhutchinson

I wonder if anyone has heard if this issue is fixed in 2015?  I know AutoCAD MEP 2015 is not out yet... However, NavisWorks 2015 is.

Jason Schaat... have you heard anything from your support case that you posted?

ALSO... we recently learned that 'some' MEP structural members will not produce a clash in NavisWorks Manage...   I made a support case on this also... they indicated they could reproduce the behavior and have escalated it to the Navis division.  I think that these two issues are related.  I wonder if any of you are also seeing this also?

Message 10 of 18
jasonschaat

All they told me is that verified the issue and escalated it to the development team.

[MacMiller]
Jason L. Schaat, MDes. BFAID, BSEET
JASON.SCHAAT@MACMILLER.COM
Building Information Modeling Manager
MacDonald-Miller Facility Solutions
7717 Detroit Ave. SW, Seattle, WA 98106
Desk:(206)407-2690 - Cell:(206)245-5963 - Fax:(206)407-2691
Message 11 of 18
Keith.Brown

@mdhutchinson wrote:

know AutoCAD MEP 2015 is not out yet... 

It has been out for over a week.  I downloaded it from the subscription center sometime last week.

Message 12 of 18
mdhutchinson

you must have it stand alone... not as part of a Building Designer Suite?

I've looked in several places on our subscription page... no Building Designer Suites are showing up...

only our stand alone AutoCAD 2015 and Stand alone NavisWorks Manager 2015.

So Kieth

You had said... 'Its actually doing the same thing on my setup.'

Since you have it downloaded... Did you try Xrefing MEP objects to see if they show up in NWNavigator in 2015 then... since you have AutoCAD MEP 2015 now?

Message 13 of 18
Keith.Brown

I believe that the Suites should start showing up around April 11th.  This is information that I heard from a collegue and official.

I am downloading Navisworks Manage 2015 now and will install and let you know if the issue still exists.

Message 14 of 18
Keith.Brown

It appears that this issue has been fixed.  I created a 2015 MEP file with a few MEP objects in it.  I then xrefed the file into a second drawing and saved them both.  I opened up the second drawing in Navisworks 2015 and all of the objects appeared.  So hopefully good to go.

Message 15 of 18
mdhutchinson

This is good news,.... yes it is.

We won't be moving to 2015 till this fall.

Keith...  One other test please... would you check your 'second drawing' in NWNavigator (navis plugin for AutoCAD)?

All we need now is for Adesk to include this in a hot fix or SP2 on MEP 2013!

Please Adesk... are you listening?

Message 16 of 18
Keith.Brown

Unfortunately it appears that this does not work in the Navitgator Palette inside of AutoCAD MEP.  Only the current drawing and not the xrefs are appearing even when Convert Xrefs are checked in the options.

Message 17 of 18
mdhutchinson

... so false alarm huh?  Not good news here.

did you have any objects other than MEP in the xref (like AutoCAD Native 3d solids for instance)? 

Message 18 of 18
Keith.Brown

Yes, i had some linework and 3D solids in the drawing which did appear.

I understand that everyone has different work processes but this will not really affect my work all that much.  I only use the navigator inside of mep to view my current drawing and exclusively use navisworks for clash detection and viewing other drawings.  However, I do see that this would be a problem if you used the Navigator Palette to view your entire model inside of MEP.  Maybe they will patch in the the first service pack.

I really don't see Autodesk going back and fixing the previous releases.  They don't really have a history of doing this and if they did what incentive would you have for upgrading?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost