Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw J-hooks?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tungkims
5407 Views, 3 Replies

How to draw J-hooks?

Hi everyone.

I am newbie and am trying to draw J-hook for Telecommunication Cables.

Anyone knows how to do it?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
smbrennan
in reply to: tungkims

I'd suggest creating a basic 3D model and working with that in 3D, but then again I tend to use new technology in an old-fashioned way.

Assuming your J-Hooks are bent sheet metal like they appear in the image, follow these steps:

• Create the profile of your J-hook (a 'J' in this case). Use polylines and make sure they're close.
  • Extrude the closed polyline the depth of the hook.
  • In a 3D view, create a circle for your 3/8" rod, place that where it's located on the hook. Extrude that to the deck/structure it's attaching to.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 3 of 4
tungkims
in reply to: smbrennan

Thank you for your advice. I will try to do it and let you know soon.

Message 4 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: tungkims

You have a couple of options available to you.  I tend to create all of my hangers as mvparts and that is certainly an option.  Just add a pipe connector to where the threaded rod would normally attach.  You can also create the j-hook as a structural member.  You can add the 3D block to the end of a round structural member, in this case the size of the threaded portion of the hook.  You can then add the structural member and the j-hook will be attached to one end of the member.  This will allow you to stretch the threaded portion of the hook to any length you like.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost