Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical - Hangers

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
msierens
3809 Views, 8 Replies

Electrical - Hangers

Working on my second BIM project and this general contractor is requiring us to show all our hangers on our conduit racks.  What is the best way to show hangers?

Sorry for the question but I don't see any hangers in my available tool list.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jcleghorn
in reply to: msierens

I take it your an electrical contractor sub to the general. The general probably wants the hangers to coordinate with the other trades in MEP. There are some hanger options in MEP and if you search this site you can find them, but I have found the easiest means is to make a block with threaded rod as a solid and a strut block. B-line has some great strut and assembly drawings to use as a profile to build a strut but Kindorf or Unistrut do also.

Message 3 of 9
Keith.Brown

@msierens wrote:

Working on my second BIM project and this general contractor is requiring us to show all our hangers on our conduit racks.  What is the best way to show hangers?

Sorry for the question but I don't see any hangers in my available tool list.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a drawing that has some trapeze hanger styles that I created in it.  You will need to use the hangeradd command before you go to the style manager in order to see them.  In addition, in the default MEP template, hangers are turned off in the display configurations.  You will need to turn them on in order to see them.  I believe the following hangers are in the drawing:

1.625 x 1.0 Unistrut with .375 Rod

1.625 x 1.0 Unistrut with .500 Rod

1.625 x 1.0 Unistrut with .625 Rod

1.625 x 1.375 Unistrut with .375 Rod

1.625 x 1.375 Unistrut with .500 Rod

1.625 x 1.375 Unistrut with .625 Rod

1.625 x 1.625 Unistrut with .375 Rod

1.625 x 1.625 Unistrut with .500 Rod

1.625 x 1.625 Unistrut with .625 Rod

There is also 2.0 x 2.0 Angle Iron and 3.0 x 3.0 Angle Iron and Rod Sizes from .375 to 1.0 that you can use to make other combinations.  You will just need to go into the style manager->multi purpose objects->hangers and create new combinations.

Message 4 of 9
msierens
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Awesome!  Just what I was looking for.

MS

Message 5 of 9
wregotti

I love this! Is it possible to anchor multiple conduits to each hanger? What if they were on strut where that was cut in standard cut lengths (1/2 stick, 1/4, full stick with 3 rods)? I appoligize if this sounds greedy. Thank you for the file. I've just always thought that a rack based approach to conduits/pipe was the way it should be. Does anyone have a script to grab a bunch of different size conduits that are on a rack and set all their top or bottom elevations the same?

Message 6 of 9
Keith.Brown
in reply to: wregotti

Yes, more conduits can be anchored to the hanger.  It might be better to anchor them to the original conduit though.  To do this you would use the AecObjectAnchorAttach command and select the objects to anchor and then select the object to anchor to.  Objects can only anchor to one other object but an object can have unlimited amount of objects anchoring to it.

As far as the 1/2 stick, 1/4 stick, you will just have to set the length when you insert the hanger.  Unfortunately you cannot automatically add a third rod.  You can though create the third rod in the correct place by using the beamadd command and choosing the correct rod size as your style.  You could then anchor the rod to the hanger and it will now move with the hanger.  Its not automatic but it does work.

Message 7 of 9
smbrennan

Keith - 

How did you create the slots? I tried to reverse-engineer the process to create these for my own combinatins, but I can't seem to figure that out!

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 8 of 9
santosG62MW

It is the first time I will be adding hangers to a bim projects and I am having trouble with the display. I add hangers to the project, they don't display in the MEP model but they do when I append the file to Navis. Your response to the other post got my attention because you mentioned something about turning on hangers on the display configuration. Can you be more specific about that? or can you help me solve this issue in some other way? Thank you in advance.

Message 9 of 9
rui_madureira

Hi Keith

Sorry to bother you.

I have followed your tutorial for custom channels and rod's creation and let me give you my congrats for it!

Thank you for it!!! 

About this subject, i have been able to create my own hanger's and rod's with the profiles from an specific manufacturer here in Portugal.

They work splendid when applied to ducts! The problem i have is that when i export my drawing to CAD format it crashes MEP (2017 version).

The only way a have to solved the export process is to before doing it, explode all the hangers. After that i can do the export process to CAD format.

Are you aware about any solution for this?

Please let me know if you do. If need i will send my MEP template for analisys.

Kind regards,

RM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost