Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Scale List

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
BobCohen6015
2423 Views, 1 Reply

Default Scale List

I have spent a few days and several Support Request cycles trying to understand the Default Scale List in MEP 2011. This also applies in about the same way to MEP 2010.

Autodesk for 2011 ballyhooed that a neat feature was the ability to update and save the Default Scale List from within the program. For Autocad 2011 (NOT MEP!!) this is done via the Options-User Preferences, as shown the 2011 promotional material and Help. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MEP. For MEP the Default Scale List is SUPPOSED TO BE edited and saved via the Utilities-Drawing Setup-Scales dialog. This applies to MEP 2010 and 2011. As far as I can find this "feature" does not work.

What follows is for XP SP3 and Vista SP1. Windows 7 may vary.

The default scales lists for MEP 2010 and 2011 are stored in the registry under similar, but not identical keys. For 2011 the lists (feet, inches, metric) are stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Autodesk/AutoCAD/R18.1/ACAD-9006:409/AEC/6.5/AecBase60/Scales
(Your Key numbers could be different). R18.1 is the release number for MEP 2011.

For 2010 the lists (feet, inches, metric) are stored in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Autodesk/AutoCAD/R18.0/ACAD-8006:409/AEC/6.0/ AecBase60/Scales
(Your Key numbers could be different). R18.0 is the release number for MEP 2010.

If you prefer you can click on a top level of one of the keys above and then search the Registry for "Scales".

You easily edit these lists. Be sure to make a backup of the Registry first. How to do this varies by operating system.

Export the key using the Registry Export to any file name you like.
Edit the file using Notepad or something that keeps the file "simple". I do not recommend using Word.
Edit the exported file being careful of the crazy syntax. I recommend copying and pasting the three-line groups and then just change the numbers. Watch out for the single and double quotes.
Save the edited file to any name you like.
Import the file to the same Key.

Note that the Key header lines are different so you cannot import an MEP 2010 Key to a MEP 2011 Key. You need to make two files where only the headers are different.

Rebooting was not needed in my XP system. The new default is now the program default.

I believe that the Save As Default "feature" of MEP 2010 and 2011 should change this Registry listing, or something else that no one can tell be about. But it DOES NOT CHANGE THE REGISTRY or the default list as far I can find.

The RESET button on the DRAWING edit scale list dialog will change the drawing Scale List to the Default list. Once you change the Registry this should be the default list you made and Reset should work to bring this in without rebooting or restarting ACAD MEP.

Edited by: bobcohen6015 on May 15, 2010 2:18 PM

Edited by: bobcohen6015 on May 15, 2010 2:36 PM Edited by: bobcohen6015 on May 15, 2010 11:01 AM
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Autodesk/AutoCAD/R18.1​/ACAD-9006:409/AEC/6.5/AecBase60/Scales

under my reg. I do not have the "Scales" folder. So I'm wondering where mine is pulling the default from?

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost