Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating mvparts with plan symbols

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
wtaylor
1393 Views, 3 Replies

Creating mvparts with plan symbols

Does anyone know of a good tutuorial on how to create mvparts with a 2D top view symbol? I am drawing speakers in 3D but when I go into a 1/8" plan view they are too small to see, so I want to be able to add a 2D symbol that can be seen in plan view. See attached screenshot.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
s.lawrence
in reply to: wtaylor

Hi,

I have recently started doing exactly this for light positions, as a lot of the lights we use are less that 100mm in diameter, and at 1:50 or higher they are unreadable. You need to create a block of the mvpart and a block of the required '2D symbol', overlay the 2D block centrally to the MV part block then use content builder. On the wizard where it suggests you may need a 2D representation, just click the down diamond and find your 2D block. May take a little bit of experimenting but once you can do it it's fairly straight forward.

Beware though, my team are having issues in that the 2D block will sometimes 'disappear' in the model, see my earlier posts in this forum. I have emailed some examples to one of the AutoCAD team and he is looking into it for me.

Hope that helps a little!

Message 3 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: wtaylor

You fail to mention if you are creating a parametric based part or a block based part.  For a parametric based part you will just need to create the symbol on the symbol plane and then make sure to set the option to display the symbol in plan view.  For a block based part you just need to set the symbol block to whatever block you desire to represent your symbol.  Again, make sure to set the option to see the symbol when in plan view.

As always when working with mvparts you need to make sure that the layer zero is always visible and unfrozen in your drawing.  This will make sure that the mvpart is visible when it needs to be.

Message 4 of 4
wtaylor
in reply to: s.lawrence

Thanks for the quick reply. We are having a similiar issues with our 2D symbols randomly disappearing. I was thinking i wasnt setting them up right in the mvpart builder but they show up fine until I save the working file. I guess I will keep tweaking it and see what happens.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost