Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting MEP 3d drawings to standard AutoCAD 2d drawings

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
glenn.jones
9921 Views, 10 Replies

Converting MEP 3d drawings to standard AutoCAD 2d drawings

Is there a simple way of converting AutoCAD MEP 2010 3D duct, pipe, equipment... to a standard AutoCAD 2D drawing? We get a lot of AutoCAD files from different firms that we need to convert for in-house use as Facilities Record drawings.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Keith.Brown
in reply to: glenn.jones

If you click on the big A and choose export and then Autocad you can export the drawing to a 2D drawing that is able to be opened by autocad.

Message 3 of 11
jcampbell924

Glenn,

If you are trying to use vanilla AutoCAD you will need to make sure that you have the object enablers loaded.  You can then either load the AecArchXOE.cuix or from the command prompt issue the command -exporttoautocad.  This command will allow you to set various options like binding, file version, and filename.  I use a lisp that I created so that we can script all of this through an application like script pro.  The one thing to know about the export command is that it all depends on what view orientation you have the file in.  So for example if you are in a SE Isometric view of an AutoCAD MEP and perform the export it will create 3D AutoCAD solids.  When you are in a plan view you will get 2D geometry. 

Jeff

Message 4 of 11
glenn.jones
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Unfortunately this does not work with 2010. There is no export option to .dwg file format. Is there a format that you would suggest to make this work?

Message 5 of 11
jcampbell924

What part did not work for you?  We run AutoCAD MEP 2010 x64 and AutoCAD 2010 x64 and can export just fine. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

doesn't work!

Message 7 of 11
jcampbell924
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you have the AutoCAD MEP\ACA object enabler loaded for AutoCAD?  When performing the "-exporttoautocad" command from vanilla AutoCAD you will need the object enabler loaded.  The object enabler for 2010 can be found at the link below. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13171188&linkID=9240858

The only way to flatten a vertical application file into a normal AutoCAD 2D file is to either perform the "-exporttoautocad" from the vertical application it was created in or by using the appropriate object enabler for that application loaded onto AutoCAD.  Sorry about the confusion.  I thought I had added into my original response that the object enabler was needed.

Thanks,

JC

Message 8 of 11
ward6176
in reply to: jcampbell924

If you export the file from a non 3d view it will flatten. In top view click the A and Export to ACAD 2012 or whatever you like. The result is a 2d image. If you play with the display configuration I am sure you will get the results you are looking for.

Message 9 of 11
ward6176
in reply to: ward6176

Edit, it's not a image - it's a dwg.

Message 10 of 11
GTisRule
in reply to: ward6176

This seems to of drastically changed in MEP 2013.  it now exports 3D regardless of being in Plan or not.  Many of the fittings are flat, but the pipe is left over as 3D solids.

Any new info on exporting MEP 2013 as flat 2 line drawings?

Message 11 of 11
SBoudreau
in reply to: GTisRule

If you can get the piping over as 3D Solids then SOLPROF, FLATTEN, FLATSHOT...etc. type commands should be able to finish it up.

Scotty

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost