Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conduit Properites

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
wtaylor
1326 Views, 4 Replies

Conduit Properites

Is there a way in MEP 2014 to add the bottom of conduit elevation to the properties palette? When I have a rack of multiple conduits that are diffrent sizes the need to be aligned on bottom.

Thanks for all the help.  

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pothied
in reply to: wtaylor

Is your goal to have the bottom on conduit property shown on the palette or are you looking for an easy way to model conduit based on the bottom of the conduit regardless of size? I'm guessing that the second option is really what you are looking for but both are possible.

While you can't add a new property to the Design tab on the property palette, you can attach property set data to a conduit and then see that data on the Extended Data tab on the PP. If you are starting from a stock template (like the US Imperial template) then there is already property set data definitions availble for you to use. If you select a conduit, you can select the Extended Data tab and pick the icon in the bottom left corner to Add Property Set definitions to the object. If you are using the stock template, you should be able to add the ConduitObject property set to the conduit and one of the properties in BottomOfConduit.

To route conduit based on the bottom of the object, start the conduit command and in the property palette look for the Justification section and change Justify to Bottom. Now when you route conduit, you will be placing it based on the bottom of the object instead of the center so you don't have to adjust the elevation to get the bottom to what you want. Just remember to reset this to center if you don't need it set to bottom because the setting will stay set when you finish the command.

I hope that this helps.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 5
smbrennan
in reply to: wtaylor

I do realize that this is 16 months old, but one trick I've recently learned, is to follow the following steps:

1. Execute the MOVE command
  2. Select your objects and press ENTER
  3. If your conduit needs to be top aligned, your base point should be the bottom of the conduit. Select that
  4. Since you want to match a POINT on the Z elevation, then tell the system by typing in (no quotes or space) ".Z" - note the PERIOD/POINT. 
  5. Now specificy the bottom of conduit you wish to match to
  6. Pay attention to the command line, it's still looking for an X & Y value. You need to click at least once more to finalize the move.

You can repeat steps 4&5 for each axis individually.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 5
dortega4226
in reply to: pothied

@pothied wrote:

To route conduit based on the bottom of the object, start the conduit command and in the property palette look for the Justification section and change Justify to Bottom. Now when you route conduit, you will be placing it based on the bottom of the object instead of the center so you don't have to adjust the elevation to get the bottom to what you want. Just remember to reset this to center if you don't need it set to bottom because the setting will stay set when you finish the command.

Thank you for this tip pothied, it will certainly be a game changer when running conduit on Top or Bottom of a rack or even when running several sizes of conduit from point a to point b.

@smbrennan85 wrote:

I do realize that this is 16 months old, but one trick I've recently learned, is to follow the following steps:

Execute the MOVE command

Select your objects and press ENTER

If your conduit needs to be top aligned, your base point should be the bottom of the conduit. Select that

Since you want to match a POINT on the Z elevation, then tell the system by typing in (no quotes or space) ".Z" - note the PERIOD/POINT.

Now specificy the bottom of conduit you wish to match to

Pay attention to the command line, it's still looking for an X & Y value. You need to click at least once more to finalize the move.

You can repeat steps 4&5 for each axis individually.

Thank you for this tip smbrennan85, this will prove to be effective when elevating a run of conduit during the coordination process--in fact, I'm currently using your process now!

"You BOTH deserve Kudos for these tips!"

David J. Ortega
____________________________________________________________________________________
AutoCAD 2015 | AutoCAD Architecture 2015 | Revit Architecture 2015 | NavisWorks Manage 2015
Autodesk | TheSwamp | CadTutor | AUGI
Message 5 of 5
tbentonPKA68
in reply to: dortega4226

It's now 2023 and this has never been resolved.

If you have a very congested area, minor tweaks in elevation means clearing piping and ductwork. The extended data set absolutely means nothing since you can't alter this to change elevations. We have multiple sizes on a rack so this is NOT a solution.

I recently brought this up to Autodesk and basically was told that the development will NOT add this capability to AutoCAD.

Funny how this feature is included in Revit.

You pay nearly $4000 and even now in 2023, Autodesk refuses to add this feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost