Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD MEP 2012

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
alan.skipper
1446 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD MEP 2012

Does anybody know what we are getting for our subscription money this year?

Are we getting proper UK, European content?

Is AutoCAD MEP being abandoned for Revit MEP? If so do us subscription payers get an upgrade for no extra cost?

Alan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rmiller1973
in reply to: alan.skipper

I'm not sure about the UK or European content ... the most significant MEP change comes on the ductwork side while most of the big improvements for MEP 2012 seemed to have been focused more on the speed and stability of the platform. Could this signal the end of AutoCAD MEP development or Autodesk is finally listening to us when we ask that they get the current features to work before looking to add new ones?

I was very pleased to see the improvements in the ductwork layout options. As duct transitions are now integrated in the routing options. One key change is the duct transition angles will maintain the user assigned angle when the duct size changes (no more major shifting of ductwork because a 30 angle transition is forced over to a 10 angle or being forced to modify the catalog). Of course the duct dialog box has been removed and moved to the properties palette - you can finally simply type the change in duct size in instead of being forced to use the drop down list (hopefully this same process is applied to piping).

I can finally say that the multileader feature as arrived. In previous versions if you set the leader justification to bottom right the leader would stop at the mtext bounding box ... this has been finally addressed.

There were improvements to the overkill command, it is significantly faster. One test I performed showed the 2012 overkill command was 21x faster (7 seconds vs 2:30 minutes) than MEP 2010.

The ability to change the visual style and orthographic view have now been included as an onscreen option within the modelspace. The also included autocomplete commands on the commandline ... which should make it easier to track down long lost rarely used commands.Oh ... the Selection Cycling tool is great! Overlapping objects will now allow you to quickly select the intended object by use of a pop up list that highlights the object as you click your way through the list.

Overall I think there are enhancements that make it compelling to uprgade for all subscription users. Since it is likely the last in the 2010 drawing format cycle I think it is worth upgrading if you skipped 2011 or still holding on to 2009. There are still areas that I think they need to address and it looks like there are still some really good resources being applied to AutoCAD MEP.

Our firm is likely to begin to dabble in Revit MEP, but I'm still holding out hope that Autodesk will make AutoCAD MEP and Revit more compatable and let us decide what software to use.

Rob

Message 3 of 8
alan.skipper
in reply to: rmiller1973

Hello Rob

Do you know of any improvements to the electrical side or is the program still MP with a little bit of E? The Electrical side has always been rubbish particularly from a UK point of view.

Alan

Message 4 of 8
rmiller1973

I can't say I really noticed any changes to the electrical side ... if I'm being honest, I'm beginning to lean more towards Autodesk is stringing AutoCAD MEP users along enough to get them to switch to Revit.

It is quite shameful that the resources are not being applied equally. Using a package based on AutoCAD has the ability to be far more functional and customized than a moderately locked down software package like Revit.

We are going to be faced with the proposition of working with projects that are large enough that we will need at a minimum a $3500-4000 machine to efficiently run Revit MEP 2012's large, complex model minimum requirements.

Rob

Message 5 of 8
alan.skipper
in reply to: rmiller1973

Hello again Rob.

I'm wondering if anybody at Autodesk has actually realised that Tray, Ladder and Basket are completely different cable containment systems yet. I keep being told that the UK content was developed in conjunction with UK engineers but I seriously doubt this statement; I even doubt that US engineers were contacted.

It would appear that Autodesk have been diverting their resources to Revit MEP for several years now.

I haven't had any experience with Revit yet but, from the demo, that also looks like its an MP with a little bit of E

Good Luck

Alan

Message 6 of 8
jerry.wms

I HAVE RECEIVED MY UPGRADE AND AM DEBATING ON WHETHER TO INSTALL.  I AM CURRENTLY ON 2011 MEP AND I AM THE ONLY USER. IS IT BETTER TO UNINSTALL THE PREVIOUS VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING THE UPGRADE? 

Message 7 of 8
rmiller1973
in reply to: jerry.wms

They can be installed side by side.

AutoCAD MEP 2011 and 2012 are using the same drawing format (2010 dwg) but there is always a chance that there could be differences that might not allow you to continue to use 2011, if you use 2012 on a project.

I think 2012 is worth the upgrade, but I would do some internal testing before making that leap.

Rob

Message 8 of 8

I think you are right. Since the Autodesk engineers are not Britishs, they don't understand what containment system should be.

Maybe you can give some link about containment system. Then we expect they see them and upgrage UK contents.

Bless.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost