Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD MEP 2012 - Importing Building Component

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
deaneric
1265 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD MEP 2012 - Importing Building Component

Hello,

I am working on a project with AutoCAD MEP 2012 in which I created equipment (just a general shape) in AutoCAD Inventor 2012.  When I export the project as a building component, and then import it into AutoCAD MEP, the top view of the multi-view part is rotated 180 degrees.  This only happens to some of my equipment.  If i look at the piece of equipment just before it reaches the top view, it is in the correct orientation (Before), however, once it reaches the top view, it will rotate 180 degrees (After). 

I dont know how to stop this from happening, Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Deanna

Please see the attached screen shots.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: deaneric

Sounds like a bug in the export from Intentor...

An AutoCAD MEP MvPart is made up of multiple AutoCAD blocks... including (but not limited to) a top view block, and the 3d model block.  Sounds like for some reason, Inventor has rotated the top block.

You can fix this on the AutoCAD side.. see the linked video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT1E2T8wo0s

basically, you: open the mvpartstyleedit window to figure out which block is used for the top view

Use the standard AutoCAD block editor to rotate the top view block (you will need to figure out the base point)

Use the ObjRelUpdate command to 'force' the update into the MvPart's graphics.

If possible, could you provide the inventor file(s) so we can have someone dig into it a bit more to find and hopefully fix the underlying problem?

Thx,

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6

I would make sure that you make this change in the dwg that is in the catalog and not your production cad file.  If you make the change in your catalog then you will only have to make the change once.  If you make the change in your production cad file you will have to make the change in every production cad file as it pulls the blocks in from the catalog file.

Message 4 of 6
deaneric
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

Spoiler

Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  I was able to fix the view with changing the block view for the top view.  However, i have once again noticed that my model is getting the same error when importing into autocad from inventor (through BIM Exchange).  I have noticed that when i change my viewcube and reset the front view, that the error occurs more often.

Attached is one of my inventor files that had an error when importing into autocad MEP

Thanks,

Deanna

Message 5 of 6
deaneric
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  I was able to fix the view with changing the block view for the top view.  However, i have once again noticed that my model is getting the same error when importing into autocad from inventor (through BIM Exchange).  I have noticed that when i change my viewcube and reset the front view, that the error occurs more often.

Attached is one of my inventor files that had an error when importing into autocad MEP (where the front view of the model was changed before exporting), and a second inventor file where the front view was not changed at all (version 2.0, this one did not have any issues with importing into Autocad)

Thanks,

Deanna

Message 6 of 6
jcampbell924
in reply to: deaneric

By default when you start an Inventor Part file you are sketching on the front plane.  This is pretty normal for most manufacturing type applications but when compared to something like AutoCAD MEP it is off by 90 deg.  When you resaved the front view you were in essence changing the UCS of the file.  When you use the work planes to sketch inside of Inventor it is not really re-orientating the UCS like we do in 3D in AutoCAD so the UCS in Inventor is always set to what most call a “Front View” i.e. Y is up.  When you use the Building Exchange tools inside of inventor you actually have the ability to reset the UCS so that it comes in correctly.  Use the UCS tool inside of the BIM Exchange environment to add a UCS that you can select during the export process.  In my attached example you will notice that when you look at my part in an isometric view that the “triad” Inventors version of a UCS is in the default position of Y is up.  Yet when you import the attached ADSK file you should get a top view that matches my top view in Inventor.  If I would not have assigned a UCS during the export process my top view in AMEP would actually have been my front view from Inventor.  I hope this helps or at least makes some sense.  It took me a little bit to figure out what it was doing when I first start using AEC Exchange but once I got the hang of it the workflow is great.  All of my examples were created in the 2012 products.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost