Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there still issues with AutoCAD MEP and AutoCAD on the same machine?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ukdxb012
1011 Views, 10 Replies

Are there still issues with AutoCAD MEP and AutoCAD on the same machine?

Hi,

I seem to recall in 2013 versions of AutoCAD MEP and AutoCAD, there were issues installing both products on the same machine. Is this still the case with 2014?

From personal experience, i had a nightmare trying to remove them both from a test machine because the two products were somewhat integrated in 2013 where as 2012 and earlier they were seperate.

Can anyone confirm this please 🙂

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Keith.Brown
in reply to: ukdxb012

When you install Autocad MEP you automatically get Autocad and Autocad Architecture installed.  It is the nature of the program.  Once MEP is installed there is no need to install Autocad as it is already 100% fully functional for Autocad, Autocad Architecture and Autocad MEP.  If you installed Autocad after MEP (totally unnecessary for reasons listed previously) and then tried to uninstall Autocad you are surely asking for problems as from 2013 on they share common resources and folder structure.  This was not the case prior to 2013.  They did not share common resources or a folder structure.  Autocad MEP however still contained Autocad and Autocad Architecture however.

I am a little confused as to why you would install both Autocad and Autocad MEP?

Message 3 of 11
ukdxb012

Keith,

I typically wouldnt install them on the same machine, however i cannot stop "IT" from doing so as they would not understand the issues. You can communicate till your blue in the face but there is always that chance that someone accidently installs the two together, then try to uninstall one of them in the future only to find issues when doing so.

I learn't the hard way during the release of 2013 products as i have a test machine with all our Autodesk products on... little did i know Autodesk had done the behind the scenes integration of shared common resources until i tried to remove one of them which totally corrupted the other. For me, i had AutoCAD 2013, Structural Detailer and MEP all installed on same machine... nightmare trying to get AutoCAD 2013 back on when id uninstalled it for package testing.

Thanks for confirming that the issue remains regarding the shared common resources, Really appreciated.

Regards,

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 11
BillGlennie

There should be no issues when installing both AutoCAD 2014 and AutoCAD MEP 2014 on the same system.  These are more tightly integrated starting with the 2013 release, and many other AutoCAD-based programs are now similarly handled in the 2014 release.  This change allows multiple products to work off of a single copy of AutoCAD, which saves disk space initially and reduces install time.  There have been some minor problems with installing service packs and object enablers, but these are the only issues due to the integration that we are aware of at this time. 

Problems can occur when uninstalling one product, if the step of manually removing "no longer needed" files is taken.  Prior to 2013, there would be multiple copies of most AutoCAD component files, so deleting one copy would not affect another product.  We do test many different side-by-side combinations of products, including lots of uninstall operations.  There should be no problem when using the automatic uninstall process, which includes counters to allow for other products that are using the same shared files - a file still in use will not be removed. 

Please let me know the details if you run into any problems with the integration of AutoCAD and vertical products.  Because these are shipped in several suites, we appreciate knowing when there is a concern.

Thanks,  Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 11
ukdxb012

Hi Bill,

Sometimes we have issues with Autodesk products that require a reinstall, removal or clean uninstall. This is where it can become problematic as some people know how to do this and some dont. Relying on ARP (Add, Remove Programs) is not ideal because it can leave files behind which make it hard to reinstall products.

Some IT guys will either troubleshoot the issue, try to uninstall and reinstall or in extreme cases they will rebuild machines.

If i come across anything i will let you know. So far so good though (Yet to try MEP 2014)

Would you be aware of any issues with the Suite Workflows add on though the Building Design Suite? I ask because we had access to these in Revit 2013, however, since installing Showcase 2013 they seem to have disappeard on the Application Menu in Revit 2013, even though they still appear in Civil 3D 2013. Not sure how to get them back?

I've tried a reinstall of them, repair etc however i havent had much luck. How is this tool intergrated with the products and how can i potentially add it back? I'm a bit stuck if im honest...

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 11
kwizats_haderack

Hi,

to be sure that your Autodesk software are properly uninstalledsimply go to the Autodesk site and download the free uninstaller made available and developed by Autodesk.

Bien cordialement / Best regards

----------------------------------------------------

Erwan ( FRENCH AUTOCAD M.E.P CAD/BIM MANAGER )
Message 7 of 11
ukdxb012

Thanks for you response! Could you please send the link?

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 11
kwizats_haderack

UNINSTALLER

it's a pleasure.

Bien cordialement / Best regards

----------------------------------------------------

Erwan ( FRENCH AUTOCAD M.E.P CAD/BIM MANAGER )
Message 9 of 11

The Autodesk Uninstall Tool is included by default with AutoCAD 2014-based applications.  But it works with earlier releases as well.  So if you've installed AME 2014, it should already be present. 

Hope this helps,  Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
ukdxb012

Hi Bill,

Which tool are you referring to?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 11 of 11
ukdxb012
in reply to: kwizats_haderack

Erwan,

Thanks for the link, however, it doesn't help in this instance as its too focussed on a specific removal (Autodesk Design Suite 2012).

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost