Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no place to post Mvparts yet, but...

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
bil-with-one-L
473 Views, 20 Replies

no place to post Mvparts yet, but...

Well, to the best of my knowledge... we still haven't earned a place to post Mvparts specific to ABS, but I just created a rather simplified trench drain approx 6x24. I think I'll post it to the customer files or AEC content group. -- I'll need feedback on the pro's and con's of how I created it... too detailed? Not detailed enough? Did I even create it the right way? it seems to insert accurately... this is my first "from scratch" mvpart. So any advice will help in my future parts. I'm not sure that I completely understood the process and so I'm sorta winging it.
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: bil-with-one-L

It's not a matter of earning a place to put it. We are working on getting a
place built to put stuff like this.

jason

"bil-with-one-L" wrote in message
news:f178a5d.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Well, to the best of my knowledge... we still haven't earned a place to
post Mvparts specific to ABS, but I just created a rather simplified trench
drain approx 6x24. I think I'll post it to the customer files or AEC content
group. -- I'll need feedback on the pro's and con's of how I created it...
too detailed? Not detailed enough? Did I even create it the right way? it
seems to insert accurately... this is my first "from scratch" mvpart. So any
advice will help in my future parts. I'm not sure that I completely
understood the process and so I'm sorta winging it.
Message 3 of 21

perhaps a bad choice of word... just referring to julian's post to my earlier message saying that if enough people showed interest in such a place... autodesk would help us out. I'm sure that it's being considered... although i wonder how many folks it'll take to convince them that we deserve a place... have we accomplished this already? And should we expect a place soon? or should I keep working it... because I'm willing to keep working it.
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

Very nice job on the modelling Bil!!

Yes, you do need to include the .bmp and .xml files that you included in
your zip file. The part could live without the .bmp file, but the .xml file
is critical.

The only problem that I saw with the part was that the direction vector on
the connector was pointed in slightly the wrong direction. It is "kicked"
about 11%%d "inward". I've posted an update part to cf under your original
post with the direction of the pipe connector corrected.

jason

news:f178a5d.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Well, to the best of my knowledge... we still haven't earned a place to
post Mvparts specific to ABS, but I just created a rather simplified trench
drain approx 6x24. I think I'll post it to the customer files or AEC content
group. -- I'll need feedback on the pro's and con's of how I created it...
too detailed? Not detailed enough? Did I even create it the right way? it
seems to insert accurately... this is my first "from scratch" mvpart. So any
advice will help in my future parts. I'm not sure that I completely
understood the process and so I'm sorta winging it.
Message 5 of 21

thanks... that's odd though... I eneterd the second point of the direction vector by typing @0,0,z-1... Is there a better method?
Message 6 of 21

oh... and another thing... once someone was to download an mvpart from such a location as i had posted the trench drain... what is the correct procedure to add it to an appropriate mvpart catalog?
Message 7 of 21

oh wait... i see now what you mean... i didn't notice that before... I'm guess that is because I picked the first point of the direction in my iso view... does that make sense? -- shouldn't my UCS have defined the XY plane though? I've checked my UCS options and it's not set to Save UCS with viewport or to update view to plan when UCS is changed. I would think that one of those options would need to be set for that to have oriented that way. how is that happening?
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous

This is the reason that we are working on a solution other than a newsgroup
for posting MvParts.

The correct procedure would be to get the three files that you provided (the
.bmp, the .xml, and the .dwg) and put them somewhere in the catalog
structure. Now the question becomes "what catalog structure?"

OK, with a standard install all of the catalogs are stored in c:\documents
and settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Building Systems
2004\R16.0\enu\Aecb Catalogs 4.

Under that folder there are the MvPart Catalogs, called MvParts UK, MvParts
US Imperial, and MvParts US Metric. If you take a look in the MvParts US
Imperial folder you will see an .apc file (Autodesk part catalog). The fact
that an .apc file exists here, means that this is the head of a catalog
structure. The part files could be placed anywhere from here "down". They
can be placed in that folder if you so desire, but it would make your
catalog structure fairly flat. I placed you part under Mechanical\Trench
Drains (just created a folder called trench drains). The next step that I
need to complete is to regenerate the catalog. I'm going to do that in ABS
(it can also be done in catalog editor) by clicking MEP Common -> Regenerate
Catalog.

The next time I MvPartAdd the item will be availible to the MvPartAdd
dialog.

Now, there are also sub-catalogs in the MvParts catalog. If you take a look
in the mechanical folder, you will see another .apc file. This catalog
contains only Mechanical MvParts. If I selected that catalog as my current
MvPart catalog, it would not know about the new part until it was
regenerated.

hth

jason
news:f178a5d.4@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> oh... and another thing... once someone was to download an mvpart from
such a location as i had posted the trench drain... what is the correct
procedure to add it to an appropriate mvpart catalog?
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous

A place to send and download mv parts would be
great. I have created a large library of parts (such as cast iron no hub
fittings) and would not mind sharing them. 

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Well,
to the best of my knowledge... we still haven't earned a place to post Mvparts
specific to ABS, but I just created a rather simplified trench drain approx
6x24. I think I'll post it to the customer files or AEC content group. -- I'll
need feedback on the pro's and con's of how I created it... too detailed? Not
detailed enough? Did I even create it the right way? it seems to insert
accurately... this is my first "from scratch" mvpart. So any advice will help
in my future parts. I'm not sure that I completely understood the process and
so I'm sorta winging it.
Message 10 of 21

P. Temporale,
I am just getting started with making MvParts. I work for a Mechanical contractor, and if I could get your cast iron no-hub fitting MvPart, that would help me out tremendously
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

The file is too large (2.8mb) to post here, this site will only accept files up to about 1.5mb. If you send me a e-mail address I will send you the file. I also have a lot of other items drawn from fixture carriers to trane rtu's. in all the files are about 1.5gb. "AFielderJEG" wrote in message news:21279077.1090864450239.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > P. Temporale, > I am just getting started with making MvParts. I work for a Mechanical contractor, and if I could get your cast iron no-hub fitting MvPart, that would help me out tremendously
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous

P. Temporale,
Can u send me that file? I would appreciate it. Thanks
nhenderson@crsegr.com
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

Hi Pat - I applaud your effort to make MvParts available to others, but I am wondering how your file got to be so big? Are you putting a lot of detail into your model blocks? One of things I see all the time are blocks that come over from Inventor. So you make the part using a lot of the cool modeling capabilities in Inventor, save it a SAT file and then find out its 2 Meg/block. That makes for bloated drawings, poor performance, and the inability to transmit because everything is too big. What happens is that it takes AutoCAD a lot of resources to make the curves, fillets etc. We are working with the AutoCAD team to address some of these issues. "P.Temporale" wrote in message news:41065bac_2@newsprd01... > The file is too large (2.8mb) to post here, this site will only accept files > up to about 1.5mb. If you send me a e-mail address I will send you the > file. I also have a lot of other items drawn from fixture carriers to trane > rtu's. in all the files are about 1.5gb. > > > "AFielderJEG" wrote in message > news:21279077.1090864450239.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > P. Temporale, > > I am just getting started with making MvParts. I work for a > Mechanical contractor, and if I could get your cast iron no-hub fitting > MvPart, that would help me out tremendously > >
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

Can't speak for Pat or the size issue (our RTU's are about 200 kb with all the goodies), but you need to realize that RTU's are complicated. There is a lot of geometry that is critical for good design. Not only height, width, depth, but you could have supply, return, exhaust & OA openings, multi-height roofcurbs with crossbars, adapters, hoods, fans, access panels and clearances. Add in all the various connectors and you have a complicated object. (Wish we could have multiple Layer Keys or Nested MvParts, to turn on/off clearances, curbs, hoods, etc). J "Peter Terwilliger {Autodesk}" wrote in message news:41066e70$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Pat - > > I applaud your effort to make MvParts available to others, but I am > wondering how your file got to be so big? Are you putting a lot of detail > into your model blocks? > > One of things I see all the time are blocks that come over from Inventor. > So you make the part using a lot of the cool modeling capabilities in > Inventor, save it a SAT file and then find out its 2 Meg/block. That makes > for bloated drawings, poor performance, and the inability to transmit > because everything is too big. > > What happens is that it takes AutoCAD a lot of resources to make the curves, > fillets etc. We are working with the AutoCAD team to address some of these > issues. > > "P.Temporale" wrote in message > news:41065bac_2@newsprd01... > > The file is too large (2.8mb) to post here, this site will only accept > files > > up to about 1.5mb. If you send me a e-mail address I will send you the > > file. I also have a lot of other items drawn from fixture carriers to > trane > > rtu's. in all the files are about 1.5gb. > > > > > > "AFielderJEG" wrote in message > > news:21279077.1090864450239.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > P. Temporale, > > > I am just getting started with making MvParts. I work for a > > Mechanical contractor, and if I could get your cast iron no-hub fitting > > MvPart, that would help me out tremendously > > > > > >
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

Multiple Layers nested into MvParts would be a big help. I now have to create a block for a rooftop, a block for the curb, and a block for the clearances so I could get a correct display. "J" wrote in message news:4106a1fd_1@newsprd01... > Can't speak for Pat or the size issue (our RTU's are about 200 kb with all > the goodies), but you need to realize that RTU's are complicated. There is a > lot of geometry that is critical for good design. Not only height, width, > depth, but you could have supply, return, exhaust & OA openings, > multi-height roofcurbs with crossbars, adapters, hoods, fans, access panels > and clearances. Add in all the various connectors and you have a complicated > object. (Wish we could have multiple Layer Keys or Nested MvParts, to turn > on/off clearances, curbs, hoods, etc). > J > > "Peter Terwilliger {Autodesk}" wrote in > message news:41066e70$1_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Pat - > > > > I applaud your effort to make MvParts available to others, but I am > > wondering how your file got to be so big? Are you putting a lot of detail > > into your model blocks? > > > > One of things I see all the time are blocks that come over from Inventor. > > So you make the part using a lot of the cool modeling capabilities in > > Inventor, save it a SAT file and then find out its 2 Meg/block. That > makes > > for bloated drawings, poor performance, and the inability to transmit > > because everything is too big. > > > > What happens is that it takes AutoCAD a lot of resources to make the > curves, > > fillets etc. We are working with the AutoCAD team to address some of > these > > issues. > > > > "P.Temporale" wrote in message > > news:41065bac_2@newsprd01... > > > The file is too large (2.8mb) to post here, this site will only accept > > files > > > up to about 1.5mb. If you send me a e-mail address I will send you the > > > file. I also have a lot of other items drawn from fixture carriers to > > trane > > > rtu's. in all the files are about 1.5gb. > > > > > > > > > "AFielderJEG" wrote in message > > > news:21279077.1090864450239.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > > P. Temporale, > > > > I am just getting started with making MvParts. I work for a > > > Mechanical contractor, and if I could get your cast iron no-hub fitting > > > MvPart, that would help me out tremendously > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

J - I don't consider the description you gave as being complicated - ABS should and does handle creating objects as you describe with a minimum of overhead. The complication I am referring to is using fillets, blends, booleans where you don't really need to. After all, who do you think created those rather large pumps (in terms on drawing size) that you get out of the box? We are working towards MvParts that are assemblies for future releases.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

Know what you mean. I'll be looking forward to future releases. Thank you. J "Peter Terwilliger {Autodesk}" wrote in message news:4106ad74$1_1@newsprd01... > J - > > I don't consider the description you gave as being complicated - ABS should > and does handle creating objects as you describe with a minimum of overhead. > The complication I am referring to is using fillets, blends, booleans where > you don't really need to. After all, who do you think created those rather > large pumps (in terms on drawing size) that you get out of the box? > > We are working towards MvParts that are assemblies for future releases. > >
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

Peter, where can I find the procedures to create I -Drop web pages from my content? "Peter Terwilliger {Autodesk}" wrote in message news:4106ad74$1_1@newsprd01... > J - > > I don't consider the description you gave as being complicated - ABS should > and does handle creating objects as you describe with a minimum of overhead. > The complication I am referring to is using fillets, blends, booleans where > you don't really need to. After all, who do you think created those rather > large pumps (in terms on drawing size) that you get out of the box? > > We are working towards MvParts that are assemblies for future releases. > >
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

Hi Pat - It's pretty easy... 1. From the MEP Common menu, select Catalog Editor. 2. Open the Catalog that you want to publish. 3. Pick the button at the top "Publish to Web" - 4th button from the left 4. Designate the location of the webpage (I usually put in a scatch folder under My Documents until I am happy with it). You guys have a great website, BTW. I hope this helps! "P.Temporale" wrote in message news:41091f6f_1@newsprd01... > Peter, > where can I find the procedures to create I -Drop web pages from my content? > > > "Peter Terwilliger {Autodesk}" wrote in > message news:4106ad74$1_1@newsprd01... > > J - > > > > I don't consider the description you gave as being complicated - ABS > should > > and does handle creating objects as you describe with a minimum of > overhead. > > The complication I am referring to is using fillets, blends, booleans > where > > you don't really need to. After all, who do you think created those > rather > > large pumps (in terms on drawing size) that you get out of the box? > > > > We are working towards MvParts that are assemblies for future releases. > > > > > >
Message 20 of 21

Pat,

Sorry that it has taken so long to reply back. My e-mail is andyfielder@johnegreen.com. You stated that the file is 2.8mb. This is the size of all the no-hub parts right? Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost