Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall problem.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
snyper1982
519 Views, 10 Replies

Wall problem.

Ok. I am so used to the older versions of acad(2007 and earlier). These newer versions are taking a lot of getting used to. Anyways, my question is this, when i am running pipe with MEP, when I switch to a 3d view, the walls get in the way. Is there any way to show the walls as flat on the z-axis withoutt actually chaging their height or anything? Any help would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Keith.Brown
in reply to: snyper1982

Here are the steps that worked for me.

1. Open up the display manager.  Manage Tab -> Style & Display Panel -> Display Manager button.
  2. Expand Sets and scroll down until you see MEP Design - Model and click on it.  
  3. On the right hand side scroll down until you see WALL.  Then scroll over to the left until you see a checkbox in the Model Screened column.  Uncheck this and instead place a check in the Plan Screened column.
  4. Repeat the process but this time in under sets choose MEP Basic 2-Line-Model.

This should show all of your walls as flat 2D objects but still maintain all of their properties.

*Advanced Tip.  Instead of modifying the existing Display Representations instead create a new one and change the walls to display flat in that representation.  This way you will still have the 3D representations of the walls if you need it.  Such as running an interference check to make sure you have all of your wall sleeves if needed.

Message 3 of 11
snyper1982
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks so much. That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through. It works, but dang. Is there no easier or faster way?
Message 4 of 11
Keith.Brown

You can export your architectural drawing to 2D.  Other than that it is the only way.

@Anonymous wrote:
That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through.

It takes me approximately 30 seconds to do this my drawing for the two display representations so I am not sure if that qualifies for alot of trouble.  Also if you do it once in your MEP template then you will not have to do it again.  Just xref the architecture walls into your drawing and then they will display how you want them while keeping there regular 3D display in the original drawing.

Message 5 of 11
snyper1982

Well there are windows, doors, and a few other parts also that I have to turn off. How would I export it to 2d?
Message 6 of 11
VitalyF

Hi,

...this is an additional variant

Use "Horizontal Section", see video clip

PipeCreate.avi

Vitaly

PS

Keith, thanks for the solution, as you this option?

Message 7 of 11
Keith.Brown
in reply to: VitalyF

@VitalyF wrote:

Keith, thanks for the solution, as you this option?

Hi VitalyF,

Watching the video it looks like it will work.

Message 8 of 11
Keith.Brown

@Anonymous wrote:
How would I export it to 2d?
  1. Make sure that you are in a plan view.
  2. Click on the Big A in the upper left corner.
  3. Choose Export.
  4. Choose the release version of AutoCAD you want to export to.  

This will permantly flatten the 3D Architectural objects into a 2D drawing.  Please note that only Architectural objects are flattened.  Regular AutoCAD objects are not flattened and other methods will need to be used.

Message 9 of 11
Keith.Brown

Personally i would take the time to create a new display representation that would display everything as flat.  That way you have the option of displaying everything in 3D or 2D.  This would allow you to create section views with everything in 3D quickly and easily.  Section views of corridors are quite important and making sure you kept the 3D architectural items would hasten your ability to create these.

Message 10 of 11
snyper1982

That stuff doesn't matter to me. I work for a plumbing company, so i am only worried about the pipe. The rest is nice to have IF I need it, but a hinderance mostly. At least for now. Like I said, most of this stuff is new to me, I am coming from a fairly old version. As I get better with the program, I can always switch back.

Message 11 of 11
Keith.Brown

I also worked for a Plumbing & HVAC contractor here in Chicago and we always made section views of areas.  Having the walls premade in the section view saved us the trouble of drawing them again.  

And as i said before, if you setup your template once (probably take 1/2 hour to setup) then you will not have to worry about it again.  Flattening drawings is a continual effort and you will need to do it for every job and every drawing and for every update that the architect sends you from now until ever more.

It is always easier to work with the software than to work against it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost