Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating parametric parts

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
nestly2
1159 Views, 6 Replies

Updating parametric parts

After editing a parametric pipe fititng with Content Builder, the changes are not reflected in the drawing.  I've tried regen'ing the catalog(s), OBJRELUPDATE, and closing and re-opening the drawing.  New sizes of the part that aren't already in the drawing will insert with the new parameters, but existing part sizes retain the parameters of the part before editing.  Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pothied
in reply to: nestly2

Parametric parts are like blocks in that once the definition of the part is in a drawing, it doesn't want to change. In AutoCAD you can redefine a block to a new defintion but there is no way to do this with parametric parts. What you have to do is to either remove the part from the drawing by swapping the parts to something else temporarily and then using AecbBldSysPurge to purge out the old definition and then bring the new one in and swapping the temporarly parts to the new one again.

You can also insert you new parts in a new drawing and then insert your old one into the new one exploded and the parts should take on the new part definition.

If you would like to log a request for a new feature to redefine parts like this, you can do that here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Hope that this helps.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: pothied

Thanks pothied,

>>swapping the parts to something else temporarily and then using AecbBldSysPurge to purge out the old definition and then bring the new one in and swapping the temporarly parts to the new one again.

I'm pretty new to AMEP,  I actually don't know how to "swap" a part so that all instances of the part would be replaced.

>>You can also insert you new parts in a new drawing and then insert your old one into the new one exploded and the parts should take on the new part definition.

Inserting the original drawing exploded into a new drawing with the new part definiton does cause the inserted drawing to inherit the new part definition, however it also breaks all the connections.  Did you mean to insert it UN-exploded because this seems to work.

And yes, I will submit a request for redefine feature because currently there seems to be no way to test changes to new or existing parts except to start a new drawing everytime the part definition is updated.

Message 4 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: nestly2

The command that you want to use is REDEFINEFROMCATALOG.  It is available on the manage tab of the ribbon under the MEP Content dropdown.  It should successfully redefine your parts adding new parameters from the catalog onto your parts that are currently in your drawings.  I am not 100% sure how it works with redefining geometry but i know it works well with parameters.  If your parts are stored in a RUNTIME catalog vs a disk based catalog then it can be buggy.  i.e. it will not always update as it should. 

Message 5 of 7
pothied
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Yup - totally forgot about this command. Thanks Keith.

David Pothier

Message 6 of 7
nestly2

Thanks Keith.

I haven't tested yet, that seems like the tool for the job.

Message 7 of 7
jackpritchard

ACAD Mep 2014.  I have adjusted the centre to end dimensions for a 45 degree grooved elbow in the catalog.    I save, test the catalog,  and run a redefine from catalog command in the MEP drawing - it doesn't update.

Is there a trick to getting this to work besides the redefine from catalog command?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost