Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title Block fields and Project Navigator

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
wethead
2050 Views, 5 Replies

Title Block fields and Project Navigator

I understand that when one uses one of the OOB layout templates, the title block has attributes that are filled in according to what is found in the Project Navigator.

I would like to create, borrow, or buy a custom title block and have that information also filled in automatically in project navigator.

How do I accomplish this?

Should I be looking for a particular property set definition?

Does anyone know of a particularly nice title block layout that is available free or commercially?

Thanks in advance.

Wethead

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: wethead

The titleblocks out of the box use field technology.  It is actually extremely easy to accomplish once you have your title block format set up.  Make sure that you put generic txt in your titleblock as a place holder for the fields.  Right click on the text that you want to automatically update from the project navigator information and select Insert Field.  When the dialog appears scroll down to the project information and select which one you are interested in.  It should be noted that the project details field can be customized by selecting the project tab in the project navigator and then click the edit project box in the top right corner of the project navigator tab.  From there click on Details.  Any information or fields you add here will show up in the project details section in the insert field dialog box.

I use field technology exclusively in my titleblocks.  My theory is that I should not have to open the titleblock once I have my view set.  I even use fields to add to or change the revision blocks.  If you have large 3D assemblies, just opening up a sheet drawing can be very time consuming.  You then have to waste approximately the same amount of time when publishing the drawing.  I prefer to make the changes in the project navigator and publish my sheets without actually opening the drawing.  This saves me valuable time throughout the day, especially when I have to update numerous drawings. 

If you right click on your sheet drawings and go to properties, you can also add information here that will be picked up in the field dialog box.  This is where I am adding the revision history.

As far as where to purchase titleblocks, I am currently using the company standard so I am not sure of where to purchase any.

Message 3 of 6
wethead
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks

I understand now how to set up the fields.  How do I place "generic text" without both the "generic text" AND the field entry appearing?

When I set up the fields I have something that looks like this:

placeholderxxxx

What is the best way to handle the placeholder text?

Message 4 of 6
Keith.Brown

When you insert the field, make sure you have the generic text selected.  It will replace the text with the field. 

Message 5 of 6
wethead
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks again

So much to learn.

Message 6 of 6
wethead

What I am trying to do is set up a company standard Title Block with field technology that I can use with the Project Navigator.

What I see in many drawings is Architects drawing in ACAD Architecture but not using project navigator at all , using smart attributes in blocks instead.

I am not sure why.  Maybe they are not aware of the Project Management features.

At any rate, I have a basic understanding of how the project Navigator Works.

I have created a simple block with

Sheet #  - I see where that is referenced in the Sheets Tab

Sheet Name -- I also see where that is referenced in the sheets tab

Project Title -- I see where that is referenced in the Project Tab

Project address  -- this does not seem to be available out of the box.  I see how I can create custom details and the insert them as fields in my title block, but that means that I will have to create custom address fields in every new project.

Or not?

Is there something in the project tab that already for site address info.

Is there a way to create a "project navigator template" where I can create a number of custom properties in the detail section of the Property Tab and have them come up in every new project?.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost