Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging elevation/section/detail views

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
cuervogold
1660 Views, 11 Replies

Tagging elevation/section/detail views

I'm fairly new to AMEP, and I'm on the documentation end of my modeled project. I would like to tag an elevation/section/detail view created through AMEP's elevation/section/detail tools, but the tagging tool, e.g. "Pipe Tag", will not recognize a pipe in any of the respective views. Am I approaching this all wrong? Can such a view created in AMEP be tagged? What should I change?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Keith.Brown
in reply to: cuervogold

You cannot "tag" a section/elevation view as the resulting object is no longer a pipe.  What you can do however is jump through a couple hoops and create a "live" section in an Xref drawing.  This is the steps that I take.

1. Inside a blank drawing xref in the drawing in which you want to create a section.

2. Draw a bounding polygon around the area that you want to create a section in.

3. Using the XCLIP command clip out all geometry outside of the bounding box.

4. Now in the XREF drawing change your view to a Front or Side view.

5. You now have a section of your drawing that you can tag because your pipe is still considered a pipe object.

Note:  You will need to create a tag that is perpindicular to the screen and will display in a top, left, or right view.

Message 3 of 12
cuervogold
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thank you, thank you! Your steps describing the Live Section worked great, but I'm having a hard time creating the multi-view tag. Using CUI, I have already imported the "Create a Tag" tool from Architecture and I've created my custom tag, but the tag will only display in the top view of the Live Section. What do I need to look for in creating the tag?

Message 4 of 12
cuervogold

I think I got it! Tell me if I'm right:

• Create tag with Architecture tool (I used some great videos on youtube.com for reference)
  • In Style Manager, under Multi-Purpose Objects/Multi-View Block Definitions/"My Tag", select Model in Display Representations, and Add "My Tag" to the View Blocks window
  • Once "My Tag" shows up, select all view directions
  • OK to finish

This works for me, but I still need to do a little manipulation to get the settings right in what Property Set Definition is displayed in my tag. Do you have any other pointers or advice in properly adjusting/recreating my multi-view tag?

Message 5 of 12
Keith.Brown

Here is a document that I created for a co-worker that shows the creation steps for a specific tag to work in both a top and front view.  I would recommend seperating your tags so that you have a tag specifically for a top view, one for a front view, one for a side view, etc.  The reason for this is that if you put them all in one tag then when you set it to display correctly in one view it will move in all views.  Just some food for thought.  Here is the original document.

P.S. some of the things mentioned in the document are specific to using EastCoast Cad/Cam software in addition to Autocad MEP.  You should be able to discern the difference between the two.

Message 6 of 12
Keith.Brown

@cuervogold wrote:

I think I got it! Tell me if I'm right:

• Create tag with Architecture tool (I used some great videos on youtube.com for reference)
  • In Style Manager, under Multi-Purpose Objects/Multi-View Block Definitions/"My Tag", select Model in Display Representations, and Add "My Tag" to the View Blocks window
  • Once "My Tag" shows up, select all view directions
  • OK to finish

This works for me, but I still need to do a little manipulation to get the settings right in what Property Set Definition is displayed in my tag. Do you have any other pointers or advice in properly adjusting/recreating my multi-view tag?

I have started a series on creating tags for duct located here.  You should be able to convert it to piping easily.

Message 7 of 12
cuervogold

Ok, now that I have my tagged Live Section, how do I generate a Sheet using that View of my Live Section? The Sheets tab in Project Navigator only recognizes the Top view of the Live Section despite my efforts, and I am at a loss of how to manipulate the program.

Message 8 of 12
Keith.Brown

Just click inside the viewport and change the view in the viewport to match the view in your section.  If your section is a front view then change your viewport to be a front view.

Message 9 of 12
cuervogold

Is this some type of setting I need to change in Options? If I double-click inside the viewport the Viewcube in the upper right corner is ghosted out as well as the view options in the upper left corner. I can change the axis directions but that doesn't change the view inside the viewport.

I really appreciate your help, btw.

Message 10 of 12
Keith.Brown

Click inside the view and type "-VIEW" and then type either FRONT, BACK, TOP, BOTTOM, LEFT, or RIGHT.  This will set the view to which ever direction you need.

I am not sure why the cube is grayed out.

Message 11 of 12
cuervogold

Got it! The viewport was locked to maintain scale and the lock prevents any comands to rotate/change the view.

Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate it!

Message 12 of 12

Hello

I followed your steps to experiment and obtained the cut external reference, but it is only an external reference and cannot be recognized by the Live Section, so it cannot be labeled. I hope to receive your answer. Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost