Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revising Existing MVParts & Content

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gneuhaus
744 Views, 7 Replies

Revising Existing MVParts & Content

I created a custom MVPart such as a mechanical grille which I inserted into several drawings. The MVPart had to be revised. After making changes to the souce version saved in the mechanical catolog, I regenerated the catalog where the MVPart is saved. I then inserted the revised MVPart into a new drawing where the revised MVPart shows as expected. When I go back into an existing drawing where older versions of the MVPart still exist, I cannot update these MVParts to reflect the revised version. In this same existing drawing, if I insert new instances of the MVPart, the revised version shows as it should but older versions of the same MVPart do not get updated. How can I update older versions of an MVPart?

Is there a way to accomplish this task using OLE DB or some other database access program?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
abmeador
in reply to: gneuhaus

I have had the same problem before as well.

As far as I can tell...an MvPart is basically a fancy "block".
Once you have a block defined in a dwg, it is forever defined in there.
If you try to bring in a "new" version of that block it will revert back to the "old" version.

In order to get the newly defined MvPart into your existing dwgs you have to:
1) Erase all places where you have that MvPart
2) Purge your dwg to get rid of that MvPart's definition.
3) Reinsert your MvPart where they used to be.

OR If you want to have the "old" version and "new" version of your MvParts in that same dwg you could...
1) Rename the MvPart that is in your dwg (just use the "rename" command and select the "block" option)
2) Drop the new MvPart in, since it will have a different name it will not show up as the old definition.
Now this won't get the previous MvParts to update, but it will allow you to insert the newly updated MvPart into your dwg.

If someone else knows of a better way to do this please weigh in! 🙂
Good Luck!!
Message 3 of 8

Interesting - maybe the Expresstool 'Replace block with another block' could then help?

Haven't tried it, tho'

Mind you, if you want to hack it, you could simply redefine the VIEW BLOCK quite easily. This wouldn't change anything about your old MVpart except how it looks and prints. You'd have to modify one instance of every different size in the drawing.
======================================================

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solved your issue.

Intel 7740x - Quadro 6000 - 32Gb RAM - CADmouse - Logitech G710
Message 4 of 8
DAVIDJACQUES6997

It really depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to replace a view part then you need to know the block name for that view. Then it is a simple matter of opening it with the block editor and replacing it thereby redefining the block. You can do the same thing with the model. I have run into this from time to time and that is how I solve it. It sure beats deleting and reinserting dozens if not hundreds of instances of a part...
Message 5 of 8
DAVIDJACQUES6997

It really depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to replace a view part then you need to know the block name for that view. Then it is a simple matter of opening it with the block editor and replacing it thereby redefining the block. You can do the same thing with the model. I have run into this from time to time and that is how I solve it. It sure beats deleting and reinserting dozens if not hundreds of instances of a part...
Message 6 of 8
Martin__Schmid

2010 has a 'RedefineFromCatalog' command to update catalog based mvparts that have been modified.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
michael

I have a drawing that I am trying to revise the MVpart and it will not revise.  I have tried the regen catalog and it does not change the part size.  If I start a new drawing, the part is correct, but I simply can not get it to change in my existing drawing.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Message 8 of 8
Keith.Brown

As Martin said, you need to use the REDEFINEFROMCATALOG command found on the manage tab on the mep content panel.  This will redefine all the blocks associated with your part with the blocks from your catalog.  Another option would be to insert the NEW part into a new drawing and then copy/paste the original into the new drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost