Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New book on AutoCAD MEP

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Paul_F_Aubin
3055 Views, 12 Replies

New book on AutoCAD MEP

If you use AutoCAD MEP, you may be interested in my latest book. Like previous editions, this is a team effort between myself and co-authors: Darryl McClelland, Martin J. Schmid & Gregg Stanley. The book has a new publisher this year as well. You can visit my website to learn more or you can preview actual book pages at Google Books. Google Books let's you browse actual pages of the book or perform a text search of the complete text of the book. Check it out here.

Thank you very much. If you have any questions at all, you can reach me here.
paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services, Inc.
Check out my books and training videos
paulaubin.com
Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
INTOOCAD
in reply to: Paul_F_Aubin

Have to tell ya, really disappointed in your last two books. Between 2011 and the 2010 version,only difference was what about 20 or so pages related to conduit routing. Plus no CD in the 2011 book. Then you still charge a crazy amount of money....that is a shame IMO.
Message 3 of 13
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: INTOOCAD

Hello:

I am sorry to hear that you found the book disappointing. On the issue of new content, I think we offer a good balanced coverage of the critical features. We make sure that all the material is current to the latest release and add new content for new features. Conduit was the major new feature in the 2011 release, so it got new attention, but many of the other features we cover in the book did not change all that much in the software.

On the issue of the CD, the files are available online at both the publisher's site and my website. Most publishers are going to online delivery of dataset files. I think we were actually a little late in switching to this method. The feedback I have gotten seems that most folks prefer downlaodable files.

On the matter of cost, the 2012 edition is now being published under new management and imprint. and we have actually reduced the cover price this year. Its about 20% lower than last year's edition.

Thanks for your comments.

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 4 of 13
Martin__Schmid

We're always open to feedback... if there is something in particular you would like to see more coverage on that is MEP specific... please let us know!

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
info
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

Hello Paul, some years ago I Bought your book for MEP 2010. For me, it was really a great help to understand MEP from the inside, although I'm using a German DACH version, which is different in some aspects. For me, there was only one subject missing, this were the layer key Styles. Instaed of this, I could read a lot about Printing and publishing, okay, but not really a subject especially for MEP... Some words about the price: At the end of the month there will be published the first!!! book about MEP DACH, and it will cost about 100 €, what is about 140$. Joeycool
Joeycool

MEP 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 (DACH)
Message 6 of 13

The AutoCAD MEP books have been updated to include changes to the software that affect the material covered in the book and we have been limited to a maximum page count while keeping the lessons consistent from year to year to allow you to better understand the changes based on the workflow presented in the book. If you have any suggestions on what you would like to see in the upcoming books, please let us know. We are always happy to get feedback.

Thank you

Gregg Stanley 

Gregg Stanley
QA Analyst
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: info

Hi Joey:

Thanks for the input. So it sounds like the cost in your area is really high. I am not sure how they determine pricing in other areas. I do know that with the current edition, we  have much more control over this because we are publishing it ourselves. Also, as Gregg noted, we are now limited in page count. We therefore had to remove the plotting chapter this year. We thought it was more important to update and keep all the other material.

Layer Keys is certainly an interesting topic. I covered this years ago in my Advanced Implementation Guide for AutoCAD Architecture. It was last published in the 2007 version. We don't have any current plans to cover implementation and CAD standards at the moment, but are certainly open to more feedback in this area. If many folks think this is needed, we may reconsider it.

Finally, there is a group working on a Chinese version of our book. I believe they are doing it for 2011. This would make a metric dataset available. Granted, not a DACH one, but perhaps something we can work with and possibly include in the next edition. No promised, but these are discussions we are having internally here.

Thanks again.

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 8 of 13
Keith.Brown

Just a thought, but if you are limited on page count is there anyway you could offer as bonus chapters to people who purchase the book extra information as pdf's?

Message 9 of 13
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: Keith.Brown

We have certainly discussed this among the team. And we will certainly do this if we cannot fit what we need to cover in future editions. The current edition just made it under the page count.

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 10 of 13

If you want to get a better understanding of the AutoCAD MEP book for 2012, please check out Google books.

http://books.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&id=piu5eS2ILMkC#v=onepage&q&f=false

This provides an in depth preview of the book and you can review up to 20% of the book

Thank you

Gregg Stanley

Gregg Stanley
QA Analyst
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
INTOOCAD
in reply to: gregg.stanley

By limited pages, you have removed several chapters from the previous editions of the book. Even after taking that into consideration, they are almost word for word from the 2010 and 2011 editions. So my question is, what is the main difference from 2011 to 2012?

Maybe offer a whats new in AutoCAD MEP 20?? version. Instead of needing to buy the entire thing again.

Message 12 of 13
CADCIMtech

Hi,

You can try a new book in the market with the name 

AutoCAD MEP 2014 for Designers by Sham Tickoo. (it is also in Kindle version)

May be it can help you find new material.

Message 13 of 13
CADCIMtech

Hey!!

Here is a new book on AutoCAD MEP 2014. This book is what we need. Good theory and then tutorials to understand. After that exercise to practice. I bought the kindle version. The book is AutoCAD MEP 2014 for Designers by Sham Tickoo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost