Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP Cable Distances

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wtaylor
837 Views, 6 Replies

MEP Cable Distances

Is there a way in MEP 2012 to have a wire list the total distance from one point to the other? I am laying out a cable tray system and would like it to follow the tray and conduits from Comm. Room to termination point and list the total distance of the cable.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
niranjan_kamath
in reply to: wtaylor

As I understand from your query that you need to get the complete wire length of a circuit. This can be achieved by using the length property set for wire. Follow these steps:

1. Launch Style manager.
  2. Under Documentation Objects -> Property set definition -> Create a new Property set for Wire.
  3. Use apply To to select Wires.
  4. Click Apply Botton.
  5. GO to Definition tab and click Automatic Property set button and select length parameters from the list.
  6. Click Apply and OK.
  7. Select the Wire in the drawing and go to Extended data tab on the properties palette.
  8. On the lower left corner of the palette Click the add Parameter button and select Wire property set created in step 2.
  9. Now select the wire and you will see the total length in the extended data of the wire property.

I hope this helps. Do update me for any further clarification on this issue.

See attached IMG and sample file for refernce

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
niranjan_kamath

You may select a wire and use Select All to select entire wires on the project and add the extended data property to it.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 7
Martin__Schmid

Have you tried the RUNLENGTH command?  It will be a little more work to sum the conduit portion + the cable tray portion of a run, but beats having to trace/polyline the run to measure.

See quick demo: http://screencast.com/t/t1GjoIKkj

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
wtaylor
in reply to: niranjan_kamath

When I run a wire along the cable tray and through the conduit path, it doesn't seem to follow the transitions up and down the tray is making. Which throws off my cable distance schedule be several feet. Is there a way to make the wire follow all the transitions?

Message 6 of 7
wtaylor

That is a handy command. Thanks for all your help! Drawing plines over and over again where starting to get to me.

Message 7 of 7
Martin__Schmid

Wire is a 2D element intended to show the logical connection relationship between devices and the panel homerun... I think you would have challenges in trying to use these to determine accurate lengths of an installation, especially if you have elevation changes.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost