Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP 2013 Duct take-off

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
phishintrip007
1817 Views, 2 Replies

MEP 2013 Duct take-off

I have a 28" round duct, I want a 18"x12" rectangular beveled takeoff coming out of the SIDE of the duct. Never had one single issue doing this since idk, building systems in who knows how many years of using this program. The typical method is, 1) click duct from the palette 2) set duct to rectangular and desired size 3) click on duct I am connecting to and draw a line (duct) the direction I want to go. That's it!! That is simple intuitive way to draw (and build! run the trunk, insert take-offs, run branch duct).

We migrated to 2013 (soon on up to 2014 prob), and I click on the duct to connect to and the program switches to 28" round asks me what fitting I want to use YET doesn't give me the option for a takeoff, only a "tee". Ok, well more than one way to skin a cat (used to this due to the ridiculous changes Autodesk has pulled over the years), So I will just draw a piece of rectangular duct at the same elevation off to the side, then click the plus and connect it to the round duct, should just add the takeoff, no probs right? Nope, not a takeoff! Just a huge tee.

Just a few other things I tried,

Ok, I'll cheat and just draw a 18" takeoff and then label it 18" x 12". Nope, can't do a takeoff from the side it has to be a tee.

Ok, well, I will just insert a 18" round beveled takeoff fitting. Nope, only connects to the bottom!

So someone tell me why when I connect a duct horizontally it has to be a TEE and not takeoff!! When they build duct in the field, take a wild guess what they use?!?!?! A takeoff!! unless we absolutely have to use a tee for some reason. Contractors don't just buy huge sheet metal tees when they can just cut in a takeoff.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pothied
in reply to: phishintrip007

You need to check you setting for what type of a branch fitting you want to place. When you start the duct command, open the property palette and scroll down towards the bottom of the settings. In the Advanced section, there is a setting for Branch fitting which can be set to tee or a takeoff. If this is set to tee, then you are going to get a tee. Make sure that it is set to Takeoff and see if that fixes your problem.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 3
Keith.Brown
in reply to: pothied

Picture to illustrate what Pothied said.

TeevsTakeoff.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost