Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LARGER CONDUITS

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
627 Views, 10 Replies

LARGER CONDUITS

Hi all,

Can some one help me to draw 5" and 6" ridged and 5" and 6" pvc.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
VitalyF
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Sorry, but what's the problem?

Simply select the desired diameter and material and draw...

CustomConduitSize.gif

Vitaly

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: VitalyF

I did same as you did but when I went to properties conduits show up to 4 inch

Message 4 of 11
Tom_Eitelbach

VitalyF showed me something new, because that did not use to happen. Well I guess it does now with my version of 2014.

In the past you had to go to the style manager drop down and choose routing preference. choose PVC glued conduit type on the left. on the right you will see that PVC Plastic glued conduit goes to 6" but the fittings only go to 2". so the 6' size was being restricted by the 2' fittings. Change the fitting size to none for "tees" and c's. now when you go to run PVC plastic glued the size will go up to 6". 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Tom_Eitelbach

Yes, I can see conduit go up to 6" but how come when I made conduit biger more than 4", 

conduit showing ID not OD. Please advise

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
smbrennan

You probably need to edit your catalog.

1. In the Manage tab, select Catalog Editor (Image #1)
  2. Open the Conduit Part Catalog (.apc)
  3. Expand the Chapters to view the proper type you wish to edit.
  4. Once you open the two sub chapters, you'll see a list of Bent Conduit, Conduit Bodies, Conduit Elbows, etc. You'll want to modify at least the Conduit itself (example name: Conduit Platic Glued) and either Bent Conduit Plastic Glued or Conduit Elbow Plastic Glued. Expand one of the types.
  5. There are 4 formula sets. Basic Table, Constant Lists, Constants, and Calculations. Your Basic Table is where you can define your sizes. Select that entry.
  6. In the right pane, you can see a spreadsheet. With any basic knowledge of conduit, you should be able to figure out ID (ND1) and OD (D1) columns. If you are working with a bent conduit or conduit elbow there's also the Radius (R1) and Straight Length (LenA1) (this is straight length at on either side of the "conduit fitting."  
  7. To add a row, right click on the last line, and Insert Row. Fill in the data fields per the specs.
  8. Be sure to save your updated catalog.

If you are the sole worker for this type of work at your office, you don't necessarily have to do much more. However, if you are one of many, you may want to look into centralizing the Catalog Database on a shared server. Perhaps even lock down permissions.

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 7 of 11
Tom_Eitelbach
in reply to: smbrennan

I would also like to add a word of caution. Be sure to make a copy of the file before editing the catalog.

I am curious as to why the change from ID to OD. When I have time I will take a closer look. Here is one thing I would like to add from a field electrician point of view. 2-1/2" trade sizes and up all share the same O.D. So a one hole strap or unistrut strap or even connectors are all the same size between EMT, Ridged and PVC. I am not sure if autodesk has picked up on that and that is why you are seing the change to the OD measurement. Conduit fill is different above and below 2-1/2" because of the change from using a consitent ID measurement for all conduit types under 2-1/2 and OD over 2-1/2"

Message 8 of 11
smbrennan
in reply to: Tom_Eitelbach

I think Autodesk's intent was to make different types (or as they refer to them, a Style) so that users can gain benefits that MEP natively includes, such as tagging and scheduling. So, from our view, yes it looks the same in the end. But, for the companies that use more features than others, it means automated take-offs of conduit lengths, scheduled fittings, etc.

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

thank you all, I got all conduit sizese I wanted but one more issue is how can I fill out conduit elbow.

I know how to fill out conduit size and radius but I cannot understand and fill out A1 and D1.

Please help.

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
smbrennan

If you refer to my original post, I tell you what those values are.

LenA1 is in reference to the amount of STRAIGHT conduit beyond the bend. If you know conduit bending methods - this is that extra length that's used to not crimp the the conduit itself during the bend (not so much w/ PVC - but you still need a round end for fittings nontheless.

D1 is your outside diameter.

*Edit: Your Trade Size is the Nominal Size/Inside Diameter. That value is represented by ND1 (Nominal Diameter).

Shawn B.

|   
Message 11 of 11
VitalyF

>>I know how to fill out conduit size and radius but I cannot understand and fill out A1 and D1.

See also >>

Extending Neighboring Conduit in Custom Schedules

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost