Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping standard items from being purged.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mdhutchinson
794 Views, 3 Replies

Keeping standard items from being purged.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture/Keep-standard-layers-from-being-purged/td-p/43971...

My post in the Autocad Architecture forum discusses some of this...

Consider this...

There are several EMPTY AutoCAD MEP Blocks that cannot be purged... they are ("Aecb_Spigot" "Aecb_Threaded_FPT" "Aecb_Plain_End" "Aecb_Hub_No" "Aecb_Hubless" "Aecb_Undefined_Connection_Type").

I don't know why they would be empty, but I wonder if I could hide a block in one of these and not cause MEP to complain.

Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pothied
in reply to: mdhutchinson

I know that these blocks are used in some way for the connections on pipes but I'm not exactly sure how they are used. If you were to hide other blocks in these block definitions you may end up with odd graphics when drawing pipes. I did a little testing with redefininig a couple of these blocks and didn't see any issues but I'd be careful since I know that the block definitions are used in some way in piping.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: mdhutchinson

@mdhutchinson wrote:

There are several EMPTY AutoCAD MEP Blocks that cannot be purged... they are ("Aecb_Spigot" "Aecb_Threaded_FPT" "Aecb_Plain_End" "Aecb_Hub_No" "Aecb_Hubless" "Aecb_Undefined_Connection_Type").

I don't know why they would be empty, but I wonder if I could hide a block in one of these and not cause MEP to complain.

Thoughts?

While it is true that these blocks are empty they are being used in the Pipe Single Line Graphics Styles which is why they cannot be purged.  If you dont use the Display pipe and inline/anchored components as single line displays then you can certainly place anything you want into these blocks.  Personally i do not use the Single Line display but instead choose to use the graphical display setting as it squares off the corners of elbows and scales my mvparts to the correct annotation display.  i.e.  a 1/2 valve will display the same as a 4" valve in plan view.

As a side note, you can purge all of these blocks if you remove them from the standard style.  If you leave one block active in the style then you can place your information into that block and it cannot be purged.

Single Line Graphics.jpg

Message 4 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Keith.Brown

To expand a little bit on my previous post, these blocks are only used if you are displaying your pipe as single line displays as shown in the picture above.  This is a per system setting so each system can act iindependently of other systems.  Using the settings shown above if i was to draw a 6" butt weld system this is what it would look like.

The X's are universaly known as buttwelds in schematic drawings.

Butt Weld.jpg

If you open up the style manager and go to Piping Objects-> Pipe Single Line Graphics Styles you should be able to figure out what is going on.

just do a search in the help file for single line pipe display and you should find exactly what you need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost