Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues using clipboard copy/paste

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ClayAbernathy
1079 Views, 3 Replies

Issues using clipboard copy/paste

Hi guys I am trying to move a floor plan from one dwg file to another using the clipboard copy/paste.  I do this all the time without issues but for some reason with this drawing it wont let me.  Is there some type of mode that might be turned on in the drawing I am trying to copy that prevents it from being pasted.  I have tried exploding it but it didnt help.

When I select a few objects on the floor plan each individual pieces has those little blue node type things show up on it as you all know, but once I select a certain amount of objects the blue nodes quit showing up.  I realize everyone most likely knows what I am talking about but I am saying that to say this.  If I dont select so many objects that it still shows the nodes it lets me copy and paste them to the new drawing.  It seems that once I pass that threshold of not showing the blue nodes it then quits letting me copy and paste it over.

Also something I noticed is that in the drawing I am copying from everything is white.  It shows all layers to be using white except for 2 or 3 that are grey.  Well when I just copied one wall (blue nodes still showing up) and moved it to the new drawing it was it color when I moved it over there.  Maybe this is just because it using the layer color definitions of the new drawing now?

Anyway I really need to get this updated floor plan onto my exisint drawing so I can update the electrical layout. 

Any help is appreciated.  Im no pro at this.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jcleghorn
in reply to: ClayAbernathy

I have had problems with clip board but have never seen this one. Since you think it is drawing specific, I would start there. Try a recover on the drawing. Also purge may help. Save as or W-block may also help.

Message 3 of 4
ClayAbernathy
in reply to: jcleghorn

I managed to finally figure out the problem.  I have started coping the drawing a couple walls at a time little by little.  I eventually came across a small piece of the drawing that it would not copy over no matter what.  The layer was named as some type a small fence (this is in a warehouse).  It was just made up of 6 nodes (4 at the corners and 2 along the middle so its almost impossible to see untill it is selected).  Once I selected it and then selected similar it found 1 other place on the drawing that it was used.  I deleted it and the entire drawing copied over with no problems.

^I know some of that probably doesn't make sense as I don't use the right terminolgy with this stuff all the time but hopefully it makes some sense.

Message 4 of 4
jcleghorn
in reply to: ClayAbernathy

Your explanation makes perfect sense! I can use that experience if I ever come across something similar.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost