Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else prefer MEP 2010 over 2011?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1490 Views, 9 Replies

Does anyone else prefer MEP 2010 over 2011?

I so sick of MEP 2011 freezing up!  I've had 2011 since the beginning of the year and have barely used it due to frustration.  I don't think I have any hardware issues... XP Pro 32bit; Intel Core 2 Q6600, 2.4GHz; 4 GB ram; ATI FireGL V5600 512MB dedicated ram; dual monitors.  Please, let me know if you can help, or if you just want to blow off some steam I would enjoy your comments.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

My employer is still using MEP 2010 because of 3rd party software, but I can tell you that we've seen a dramatic improvement in stability and performance on machines running Win 7 - 64bit. We have 3 workstations I built with identical components and a Dell XPS laptop that are being used for drafting. They have specs comparable to your system with the laptop and one workstation using Win 7 instead of XP. My assumption is the improvement is largely due to the 64 bit OS utilizing all 4 gigs of RAM (we're using the 3 gb switch with XP). Sorry I can't offer insight specific to 2011, but I thought our experiences with the different OS's on identical machines would help.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks ductman!  It's good to hear that it runs well on Windows 7.  I would love to have 7 at work... maybe this will help in implementing a switch (doubt it).  I'm also interested to know what 3rd party software you use and any comments (good or bad) you have on it.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I'm running MEP 2009 on a 32 bit XP Pro OS. I have MEP 2010 but the performance is too slow. I know it would run sweet on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine and even though I have the upgrade to MEP 2011, I wouldn't run it without the 64 bit machine.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Smitkins,

Sorry for the delay, somehow I missed your reply from a few months back.

We're using Fabrication for MEP by Eastcoast CAD/CAM.  My company has used two other 3rd party programs in recent years but we're using Eastcoast exclusively now.  From the CAD side, some the advantages are:

• All EC parts are native to AutoCAD MEP.  We don't have to mess with object enablers so that engineers, architects, other contractors, customers, etc. can easily review our work.  
  • Comprehensive part library.  This goes far beyond what vanilla MEP offers.  Even items like access doors and volume dampers within takeoffs are modeled in 3d. 
  • Custom sizing and alteration of parts.  My employer is very particular about detailing drawings exactly as they would be fabricated to our shop standards.  Same for buyout, off the shelf items.  We haven't run into anything we can't quickly and easily model within Fabrication.  
  • 64-bit support.  Even on my workstation that's slightly below Eastcoast's minimum recommended spec, my drawings are stable and responsive.  As a point of reference, I have drawings in 2010 format around 20 megs in size.  
  • No learning curve.  If you're already proficient in ACAD MEP, you can jump right in to Fabrication. 

The only disadvantage for me is the annotation.  Eastcoast currently uses MEP tags, labels and schedules.  With a little customization the annotation is adequate, but it's not as robust as I'd prefer.  I believe that in Feb or March they're going to release their own proprietary annotation toolset. 

Beyond the software, I'm impressed with their overall level of service.  We've had good service with other software vendors but Eastcoast takes it to a whole new level.  They always respond quickly to any problems and questions we have.  They've even helped me a number of times with issues that were not related to their product (helping diagnose hardware problems with short-haul modems running a plasma table for example). 

If you have any questions, feel free to email me:

ductman@gmail.com  

or

wallace@stewenv.com

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I've used a couple of different 3rd party packages as well.  I have not used Eastcoast though.  I did some research for our company earlier in the year on CAD to fab software, and my choice was Eastcoast, hands down. TSI has a pretty good program, but I was sold on Eastcoast's compatibility w/ MEP.  I am glad to hear some positive feedback.  That reassures me of my decision IF we ever decide to go ahead with a purchase.  Thanks a lot for your comments.  If I think of any more questions, I will definitely e-mail you.  Thanks again!

Message 7 of 10
Keith.Brown

Hi.

Just thought I would mention that in order to run MEP now a days you almost require a 64 bit operating system with at least 8g of ram.  While it will run on less than 4g, you will crash alot and have serious frustration.

Message 8 of 10
Dumfatnhappy2

I'm running 24gig of RAM on a Z4....  I can still crash on 60mb+ dwg w/12 gig easy.  I now manage my work processes differently. (less progams open, etc)

32 bit will only use up to 3gig of RAM regardless of how much you put in it.

I wouldn't even consider 32 with my experience

2012 is supposed to run 30% faster btw

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

I've gone through a year of frustration and hair pulling because of MEP 2010 crashing and having fatal errors all day long. I was running a 32bit system. My company finally switched out my computers for Window 7, 64 bit systems. Now, MEP runs much better, still freezes here and there, and I'd have to manually shut the program down, but no where near the 30-50 fatal errors and crashes a day that I was experiencing before.

Autodesk still has a lot of bugs to figure out with MEP. MEP seems to be the odd child that gets little to no attention from Autodesk.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

You guys should try to participate in the beta testing and feedback programs. I agree Autodesk needs to pay more attention to AutoCAD MEP and I hope that I can get them to do so by being vocal in the AutoCAD Futures and Beta programs.

AutoCAD MEP is still by far a better program (more versitile) compared to Revit MEP. It needs to be pushed as hard as Revit but it seems Autodesk is still trying to hang the BIM moniker on Revit only.

We skipped the MEP 2011 release and I'm looking forward to 2012 when it comes out. 2010 has been somewhat stable but I agree that you have to be running a x64 (perferably Win7) machine with at least 12GBs of RAM. I'd love to see our setups consistently hit 24GBs of RAM and at least a 1GB of Video RAM.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost