Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Types

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
balddude
406 Views, 3 Replies

Device Types

Why can't I edit the Device Types (under Style Manager -> Mulit-Purpose Objects -> Classification Definition)? 

What I want to do is have all of my connections to mechanical equipment under it's own Device Type so that I can schedule it separate from other disconnects, junction boxes, etc. I have made them their own Device Styles, but when I use a general disconnect for a connection to an elevator, this disconnect will also show up on my schedule with the mechanical equipment.

I know that I can make my own device types under a different definition, but I'm thinking I'm missing something in the native software that would allow me to do this.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: balddude

Those are hard coded and cannot be changed.  The same applies to MvPart Type, Pipe Type, PipeFitting Type, Duct Type, DuctFitting Type.  Autocad MEP uses those classifications to internal methods and thus changing them could have very undesirable results.  Your only option is to assign them a new classification with your desired list.

Message 3 of 4
balddude

Any suggestions as to how to do what I'm trying to do without reinventing the wheel?

Message 4 of 4
Keith.Brown

You need to do one of a couple things.

1.  Create a new classification with your desired list and classify your schedules with that list

2.  Instead of selecting your entire drawing when creating the schedule only select the objects you want scheduled.

3.  Filter your schedules by layers.  This would mean that your disconnects would need to be on seperate layers from the ones you don't want in the schedule.  Using the property palette you can filter your schedule by layers.

Beyond that I am not quite sure what to do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost