Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDC Automation?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Kayrondad
1948 Views, 18 Replies

DDC Automation?

So my company is also a controls contractor.  For the past 6 years I have created DDC diagrams using autoCAD...lines, circles, some blocks, some block controllers, etc.

I was recently asked if there were a way to make the line work "inteligent".  Meaning this:  I have a Reliable Mach Pro Zone (MPZ), I run a wire (line) from +1IN and -1IN from the controlled devise (a supply air temperature sensor- SAT).  On my drawing the MPZ and the SAT are "connected" by the line work.  However, now we are adding other parts and components so we need to move the SAT and/or MPZ to a different location on the drawing.  

They want the lines connected to devices to retain their connections AND know when the "wires" (lines) cross and to automatically have line breaks or jumps.

They say this is available via Vizio, but I am 100% dead set against learning new software.  (Do not even tell me that the more software I know, the better off, this is a lie as I have yet to see more money for my continually escalating skill set since being employed here...so I will learn no more 🙂

Any intel from anyone on this is helpful, thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pothied
in reply to: Kayrondad

Since you created this post on the AutoCAD MEP forum, I'm going to assume that you have AutoCAD MEP. Based on the description of what you say you want, you already have it in AutoCAD MEP. There is a Schematic workspace that has schematic symbols and lines. You can create your own schematic symbols if what you need isn't already in the product. The schematic symbol is basically a block with some rules and connectors added so it knows how to behave with the linework. You can have these symbols automatically break into linework and they can be anchored to the linework so if you more a line, the symbols will move as well. If you move a symbol, the break will move. You can also setup the linework to show no breaks when crossing, show a jump or show a gap and you can control how big of a gap or jump to show. I created a short video that you can watch showing how this works. I had a piping example handy so I used that but it works the same way with electrical stuff as well. You can watch the video here: 

http://screencast.com/t/XSGET2PFsY2

I hope that these tools provide what you are looking for.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 19
Kayrondad
in reply to: pothied

The video was extremely helpful for how to make the lines brake and jump.

The symbols are really no different than any other object in MEP- if it is connected to a duct, pipe, wire, it will move if the object it is connected to moves.

What I really need is a little more complicated.  The attached shows a DDC wiring diagram.  This is very small compared to what we typically do, so it is nearly critical to come up with something that works smoothly.

If you notice the terminal blocks the wires are connected to, we have many Reliable Controls boards that need connections like the ones in the electrical panels so that when the controller is moved, the wires will move orthographically.

another thing, why the heck are there no DDC parts and options in the MEP set?  DDC is the operation power house of all the automation in the commercial HVAC world.  In a commercial building, HVAC is nearly never operated without DDC.

Message 4 of 19
Keith.Brown

I took a look at your attached pdf and I believe that you can create them as a block based MvPart and get the functionality that you desire.  I do not work with the electrical portion of the software so I am not sure what can be done using that package.  If your sole intent is to have the wires move when you move the controller then a block based MvPart will certainly solve that issue.  You need only concern yourself with the symbol view representatin as that is what it looks like you will be using. 

Message 5 of 19
Kayrondad
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Teh MV Part only allows pipe, duct, conduit, cable tray connection points.  If I use one of my Reliable blocks adn convert to "device" I can create an electrical part, BUT, I have found no way to place my connections precisely where I want them as is possible in the MVPart creation.  I get an x, y, z entry, but I have to know beforehand what they are.  This will be EXTREMELY time consuming as some controllers will have 48 or more points of wire connections.

I am getting close as I was able to take the same drawing I shared earlier and convert all my lines to the schematic, but still working on best method to create in schematic first and have the wires color when the PM wants them that way.

Message 6 of 19
pothied

The type of objects that you want to user are Schematic Symbols, not devices or MV Parts. Unfortunately there isn’t a Convert to Schematic Symbol command so creating these objects are a little more involved. Generally you need a block definition, you need to know the location of the connectors at a scale of 1 (x and y values). What I usually do is place the block at 0,0,0 and id the location of each connector and write it down.

Once you have the block and connector information, open the Style Manger (Manage Tab -> Style Manager) and open Schematic Objects -> Schematic Symbol Style -> New style from buttons at top or right click and select New. I normally name the schematic style the same as the block name, you can enter a description.  In the Design Rules tab, you can specify how you want wires (lines) to trim around the symbol. In the Views tab, click to the right of Ortho/Plan and select the block definition to use. You also can set the scaling properties here. In the Connectors tab, you need to enter the location for each connector. For a block with 40 connectors, this will take some time but once done you don’t need to do it again. Hit Apply, then Ok. Normally I would save these symbols to an external drawing that you use as a library file.

For the lines, the easiest way to have different colors is to setup schematic line styles with color overrides.

I attached another quick video to help show what I was doing. I hope that this helps.

http://screencast.com/t/V8u0m5SWnz4c

David Pothier

Message 7 of 19
Keith.Brown

My mistake Kayrondad,

My advice would be to make a single connection point that is a symbolic symbol.  I would then convert your Reliable blocks to mvblocks so that you could attach a single connection point everywhere that is needed on the mvblock. Then using the OBJECTANCHORATTACH command you could anchor the connection points to the mvblock so that they will move when the mvblock moves.  Once you have created the mvblock and attached the connection points and anchored them you can then block up the entire assembly again.  You can then drag the 'assembly' to a tool palette and adjust the properties so that it explodes on insertion.  This will place the mvblock into your drawing with the connection points already attached.  It is a little bit of work up front but on the backend it will certainly save you alot of time.

Message 8 of 19
Kayrondad
in reply to: pothied

Okay, I followed your instructions to the T!  Style is created, saved and does appear in the drawing as it should.

Now, forgive my ignorance, but how to I get it into new drawings with the connection points defined in your instructions?

See the attached.

I did also add the block used for the connection points to my tool palette....Upon insert it does not have connection points at all...

Message 9 of 19
whorton-DK

The Autodesk product you want to look at is the Electrical which is for creating control diagrams

Message 10 of 19
Kayrondad
in reply to: whorton-DK

Not the electrical portion of MEP?  What other program has electrical in it?

Message 11 of 19
Keith.Brown

I believe that the original poster wanted to work inside of autocad mep so that the didnt have to learn new software.  Yes, Autocad Electrical will work great but again that is new software.

I looked at the drawing you posted and at the RH1B-UL symbol.  You made the entire block a symbol which is better than what I said.  You are almost finished.  You need to place the symbol into your symbol library you can find the location by going into options->Mep Catalogs and then at the bottom is the location of the symbol library.  You can either add your symbols to that library or put them all into a new library and change the location to point to your new drawing.

As far as getting them into your drawing, if you add them to your symbol library you can just type symboladd a the command line and then on the property palette change to the correct style of your symbol.  Alternatively you could drag the symbol from your symbols library drawing onto a property palette.  The palette tool will then grab the symbol from the symbol drawing.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Message 12 of 19
Keith.Brown

Autocad Electric is the package for control contractors.  You can view it here.  http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad-electrical/overview

The electric in Autocad MEP is more for Electrical Contractors.

Message 13 of 19
Kayrondad

I am okay with learning another AutoCAD based software, but not at all interested in a new platform (Visio is what they were pushing).  I reviewed the electrical but not sure the controllers are there, it is a little unclear.  I guess I can always download the trial and see what really comes out of the box.

I will continue to work on getting the parts in my symbols library...if this works out, it may be better than electrical.  Now to go play with CAD!

Message 14 of 19
Kayrondad

Keith- not sure what I am doing wrong.

What I did was created the relay block inside of the stock schematic single line drawing.

I added the connectors (it took me a while to figure out some other issues I was having but those are resolved), saved the drawing and dragged the relay block to my toolpalette.

Unfortunately, the symbol connections do not show up, the relay comes in as a block reference, unlike the other stock symbols that come in as a "schematic symbol"....what the heck am I missing?

Message 15 of 19
Keith.Brown

Kayrondad,

It is probably just easier to copy an existing schematic tool on your tool palette and right click and go to properties and then change the style to the one that you created.

Most of the steps that I have mentioned are those that I have used for piping and hvac.  The basic concepts should transfer over to schematic but might need to be 'tweaked' just a tad.  This could be one of those times.

Message 16 of 19
Kayrondad

I take back "willing to learn CAD based program", holy cow pies that electrical program is NOT easy to use with only an AutoCAD training...that requires SERIOUS training and intel on how to take our commonly used parts and implement them.  Enuff of that for now.

Keith, I have gotten two parts the way I want them to as far as connection points go.  I now have a couple of other issues:

First, the attached is my schematic drawing file containing the blocks and symbols that contain my schematic styles.

On the Top row of connections, when I use the + mark to add schematic lines then change direction as I draw, the line begins at the connection point again?  Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?  The bottom row of connections does not do that....

Second, if I am zoomed to view the part in order to draw the diagrams I need, the connection points are severely outside of the actual connection point area.  When I zoom in, they go back to their home location.  the do however actually connect where they are supposed to.

What am I doing wrong?

Message 17 of 19
Keith.Brown

I took a quick look at this and didnt see anything out of the ordinary.  I will try to delve into it deeper when I have a chance.

Message 18 of 19
Kayrondad

Just whenI think all is working out and I am ready to jam and make some schematic diagrams, BAM, something goes horribly awry...okay, not terrible, enough to be frustrating.

I have a symbol, a relay, and when I add schematic lines to the connectors, the lines jump to the edge of the symbol and do not stay on the connector....what the cork suckin smell is going on here?????

Another issue that I have but have is one of my symbols, a controller, after I add the connectors in Style Manager, the symbol has a row of "arrows" that enable the block to be flipped 180 degrees, kind of like a dynamic block....what is that all about?

and a blank drawing saved as "test" is 1.58MB in size, WHY? 

I am so ready for this three day weekend.  I just do not have the brain energy right now to troubleshoot this mess....anyone out there feel like it?

Message 19 of 19
Kayrondad

Okay, here is an image of what the symbol with the funky arrows looks like.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost