Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create blocks from multiple electrical devices for repeated spaces?

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
jonh
582 Views, 0 Replies

Create blocks from multiple electrical devices for repeated spaces?

Our company is using AutoCAD MEP 2013 for a school renovation with dozens of identical classrooms throughout the facility.  Does anyone know a way to group multiple devices in a room from a particular system (lights or receptacles, for example) into a block or element, then copy this block or element around the building and assign a different circuit to each instance of this block?

In old AutoCAD, I would create a block of the first room, including devices and switches and wiring between devices, then insert that block repeatedly in similar spaces.  This way if the typical room design changed, I need only alter the block once in the block editor.  However, now electrical loads are carried by individual devices rather than being entered directly into panel schedules.  So far the best approach I've come up with would be to create room device blocks as before, with no loads entered in the devices, then drop a junction box in the space and put the whole room's electrical load in the junction box.  Surely there's a better way to do this!  Am I missing something obvious?

This situation arises in any project with several identical or similar spaces--schools, hospitals, hotels, office buildings--and being able to manipulate and circuit repetitive groups of devices would be a gigantic time saver.

I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations more knowledgeable folks can offer!

~JH

Jon A. Hunt, LC
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost