Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad MEP or Revit MEP, which to use and is one better than the other?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jjcrocco
4961 Views, 7 Replies

Autocad MEP or Revit MEP, which to use and is one better than the other?

I have two suites with both programs.  I have used Revit and learned it for the past 4 years, and have not done anything with AutocadMEP (MEP).  I am a PME engineer and Revit is a real pain to use efficiently.  The fittings and such with piping and mechanical is not good enough to use for shop drawings.  The drawing output in Revit is not very good either.  Is MEP easier or better than Revit in these regard?  Is there more content with MEP than there is with Revit?  We are wanting to train people on one of these two programs, and not sure really which is the best way to go.  Will Revit eventually overtake or replace MEP or viceversa?  Has anyone started with revit and switch to MEP, or viceversa?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lesdre
in reply to: jjcrocco

it all depend, i work with a plumbing company and so far Autocad MEP is what i have been using since we got into it. most of the stuff i had to customize for my company way of plumbing,still not a 100% yet. i had to build my own fittings and schedules. i used revit mep just for building fixture and fitting with a reseller for couple of weeks. plumbing wise i heard its more design orientated. for a simple residential house it takes me an hour to do.

Leslie
Message 3 of 8
Kayrondad
in reply to: lesdre

Revit was never designed to be a "shop drawing" type of program, it is purely a design-engineering tool.  Yes it has drafting capabilities, but the efficiency of it as a CAD tool is not the design intent.  It is the same with MEP, it is not designed to do what Revit does.  The two should not be thought to be "interchangable" but rather a tool to be used with each other.

Message 4 of 8
jjcrocco
in reply to: Kayrondad

Thank you both of you.  I have heard though that some Architects "wont" work with Engineers not using Revit.  Also, I have heard of Architects having issues with using AutocadMEP in their Revit model.  Has anyone also had similar issues?

And what about content?  Is AutocadMEP content just as available, or maybe more than Revit?

Is AutocadMEP easier to work in than Revit as well?

Message 5 of 8
blackeagle1245

I dont know revit's content but I'm using Mep 2011. You can just use mep content just for standart simple parts if you want to use original dimensions. Because I'm doing all mvparts by myself.

Message 6 of 8
Pamenina

Is it true that Revit MEP also helps with the calculation of plumbing and electrical? I work with MEP in those areas and the thing I like the most is the fact that everything looks amazing in 3D and I also use NAVIS to verify clashes within a structure. But of course before I start the design I have to calculate everything on my own. If I start using Revit MEP, it would be easier to obtain the calculation and computation?

Message 7 of 8
jeff
in reply to: Pamenina

Use the product that clients and/or contracts are paying for.

If one of your main clients require a job done in Revit every once in a while it is probably cheaper to do it in AutoCAD and pay a sub to do it in Revit, instead of all the time spent learning, set-up, etc.. then not use it for another year and have to re-learn everthing.

When it comes to Revit MEP I can't see any reason to use it unless you are getting files from Arch's using Revit, and all of our main clients require .dwg's and see a Revit one here and there but not enough to justify the time and resources to start going after them yet.

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Message 8 of 8
jjcrocco
in reply to: jeff

Can a Revit Architrectural file be used in AutocadMEP as the background or model, then provide the architect with a file they can import into Revit Architecture?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost