Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEP 2013, What the....? Tutorial on setup?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jsd1
1137 Views, 6 Replies

AMEP 2013, What the....? Tutorial on setup?

I recently installed AMEP 2013, migrated my settings from AMEP 2012, now my duct sizes are all fractions. 

Also, how can I work in 2013 and save so that others in my office that are working in 2012 can work in this dwg file as well?

Way to go Autodesk, another fine mess you got us in.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: jsd1

When installing a new version of MEP you should NEVER migrate settings on install.  Not sure if you did this or not but it is definately a No No.  It just doesnt work right.  It has been mentioned numerous times on this forum.

Additionally, You cannot work in a drawing in Autocad MEP 2013 and also have users work in 2012 in the same drawing.  2013 is a file format change which means it is not backwards compatible.  Again, it has been mentioned several times on this forum.  As a rule of thumb, every 3 years is a format change and drawings are not backwards compatible on file format changes.  You can open previous versions in the new versions but once you save it you can no longer open the file in a previous version.

Message 3 of 7
jsd1
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Ok, so what is my best option, uninstall and reinstall without migration?

When I installed 2013, it effected my 2012 so bad that it took me a couple of weeks to get back to working correctly. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
Keith.Brown

Just curious on how it effected 2012.  they are installed in different directories and shouldnt overlap in anyway other than associating dwg's with 2013 instead of 2012

As far as I am concerned your best option is to reinstall.  Maybe someone else might have a better option but in my opinion it would be best to start with a clean slate.  You should also do a clean uninstall.  Directions can be found using google if you search for autodesk clean uninstall.

Message 5 of 7
jsd1
in reply to: Keith.Brown

The installation jacked up my profile, changed settings, and support paths.  I don't know why it did that, I do realize it is in a different directory, but it did it anyway.  It also fixed a few things, like piping connections. 

Anyways, looks like we might be putting ACAD MEP 2013 on the back burner for a few years.  Maybe until Autodesk screws something else up.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 7
debbie1961

Worst thing about this 2013 is that it is NOT backwards compatible....so everyone you share drawings with has to be on 2013 or your drawings will be useless to them!

Message 7 of 7
mdhutchinson
in reply to: debbie1961

Also, you should never try importing a past Profile into a new version... I have only done this a few times but only on an as need basis.

For example, I had a user who has his own tool bars (yes tool bars)... when we migrated to 2013, I couldn't find his tool bars anywere. Yet I know he had them, because I saw them... they were in our User.cuix file which we designate as the Main Customization file. So I bit the bullet and loaded his 2012 profile into 2013... sure enough his tool bars came up. I checked again and found the user's User.cuix file was in a different location then what our standard is...

Then I dumped the 2012 profile and reloaded the 2013... then I was able to pull his tool bars in on the CUI Editor Transfer tab.

So far I like what I see in 2013... just hope the SP1 turns out to be good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost