AutoCAD Land Desktop

AutoCAD Land Desktop

weedo
Message 1 of 15 (369 Views)

simple volume calc of a stockpile

369 Views, 14 Replies
11-16-2004 11:28 PM
hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone could tell me the quick way of finding the volume of a stockpile using LDD?

i have all the elevations inserted and built the hill surface...im getting lost trying to define the ground and the surface independently then calulating the volume between the two? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!
*Joe Bouza
Message 2 of 15 (369 Views)

Re: simple volume calc of a stockpile

11-17-2004 04:11 AM in reply to: weedo
Mornin Weed, Decide on a base elevation for the "pile" taht coincides with "ground". make a stratum of the two surfaces, define your site (work your way down the terrain pull down it will unravel itself) and compute Joe "weedo" wrote in message news:27048368.1100676511237.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone could tell me the quick way of finding the volume of a stockpile using LDD? > > i have all the elevations inserted and built the hill surface...im getting lost trying to define the ground and the surface independently then calulating the volume between the two? any help would be greatly appreciated > > thanks!
*Don Reichle
Message 3 of 15 (369 Views)

11-17-2004 05:50 AM in reply to: weedo
Hey Weedo; I would add to Joe's suggestion that you place the stockpile's data on separate layers that you can freeze while building the existing ground surface. I always find it easier to build one surface at a time, and preferably in separate DWG files (ProjectNumber TOPO, ProjectNumber GRAD). HTH -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Joe Bouza" wrote in message news:419b4126$1_2@newsprd01... > Mornin Weed, Decide on a base elevation for the "pile" taht coincides with > "ground". make a stratum of the two surfaces, define your site (work your > way down the terrain pull down it will unravel itself) and compute > > Joe > "weedo" wrote in message > news:27048368.1100676511237.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone could tell me the quick way of > finding the volume of a stockpile using LDD? >> >> i have all the elevations inserted and built the hill surface...im >> getting > lost trying to define the ground and the surface independently then > calulating the volume between the two? any help would be greatly > appreciated >> >> thanks! > >
Active Contributor
Denny Gray
Message 4 of 15 (369 Views)

11-18-2004 06:52 AM in reply to: weedo
I would argue that stockpiles do not necessarily have a "base" elevation. I don't know what kind of material you have on what type of surface, but I constantly deal with piles that sit on uneven terrain. Without pre-existing surface information of the ground surface prior to the creation of the pile, you must rely on an estimation of the surface under the pile, based on the ground points around the base of the pile. Ideally, the pile will have an easily definable toe, so those points should be used in creating the base surface, and let the program triangulate across the bottom of the pile. Depending on the variance in the terrain, you might need to add some point or breakline information to the base surface under the pile, or edit the resultant triangulation, in order to get the best estimation of the surface. Your "ground" surface must be your best approximation of the actual surface under the pile. Unless the pile is on a perfectly flat and level surface, you can't just pick a base elevation and expect to get accurate results.

Denny
tom roller
Message 5 of 15 (369 Views)

11-19-2004 09:10 AM in reply to: weedo
Curious to see how you made out, and if your points for the stockpile were create via GPS? I'm having the same problem.
weedo
Message 6 of 15 (369 Views)

11-19-2004 11:48 AM in reply to: weedo
how do i pull it down...i try to get the volume but it says that they dont overlap
weedo
Message 7 of 15 (369 Views)

11-19-2004 12:10 PM in reply to: weedo
i got it to work.....finally.

i did all the measurement with a total station. the existing surface is pretty much flat so i can assume a level base

thanks for your input and all your help guys, you really know your stuff!!!
Active Contributor
Denny Gray
Message 8 of 15 (369 Views)

11-19-2004 12:47 PM in reply to: weedo
If I were collecting the points myself on a single stockpile, I would just collect a ring of points outside of the base of the pile, and then use those points along with the edge of pile points for definition of the "base" surface. The surface defining the pile would only be as big as the pile itself. There should be no problems calculating the difference between the two surfaces.

Denny
*Don Reichle
Message 9 of 15 (369 Views)

11-19-2004 02:12 PM in reply to: weedo
Hey Denny; So you would start with the supposition that it's a flat world? And that there was no depression or hump under the stockpile to begin with? With a large enough stockpile base area, I sure would want to know the existing surface conditions prior to the start of placing dirt. I can imagine situations where the depression or hump could account for as much as 10-20 percent of the total. And if I had no data regarding the original site conditions, then I would be making liberal use of the caveats! -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Denny Gray" wrote in message news:5688816.1100897263738.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... If I were collecting the points myself on a single stockpile, I would just collect a ring of points outside of the base of the pile, and then use those points along with the edge of pile points for definition of the "base" surface. The surface defining the pile would only be as big as the pile itself. There should be no problems calculating the difference between the two surfaces. Denny
*Terry W. Dotson
Message 10 of 15 (369 Views)

11-20-2004 08:00 AM in reply to: weedo
Don Reichle wrote: > And that there was no depression or hump under the stockpile to begin with? In an ideal world the client would tell you they plan to create a stockpile area and have you do an existing ground survey first. Its not an ideal world. Terry
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.