AutoCAD Land Desktop

*TCEBob
Message 1 of 20 (8,226 Views)

Turning radius for fire truck

8226 Views, 19 Replies
02-04-2004 02:08 PM
I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire truck turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? I know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads appreciated! rs
*Jim Mims
Message 2 of 20 (8,219 Views)

Re: Turning radius for fire truck

02-04-2004 02:39 PM in reply to: *TCEBob
Fire Truck: Turning Radius: 48' Length: 32' Width: 8' Height: 9'-8" Overhang Rear: 10' If you need it, I have charts for different vehicles extracted from Architectural Graphics Standards that I could email, I think they're tif images? - Jim "TCEBob" wrote in message news:40216d92$1_1@newsprd01... > I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire truck > turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? I > know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid > range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads appreciated! > > rs > >
Distinguished Contributor
jwilkerson
Message 3 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-04-2004 03:09 PM in reply to: *TCEBob
I am working a project for a supermarket and need to know the turning radius for there semi-trucks. Do you have that info as well. I wouldn't mind having all the charts for different vehicles as well. My email is jwilkerson@vandellce.com. Thanks.
*TCEBob
Message 4 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-04-2004 03:49 PM in reply to: *TCEBob
Jim, I would be eternally grateful. Tcebobc at com cast dot net. rs "Jim Mims" wrote in message news:402174a6$1_3@newsprd01... > Fire Truck: > Turning Radius: 48' > Length: 32' > Width: 8' > Height: 9'-8" > Overhang Rear: 10' > > If you need it, I have charts for different vehicles extracted from > Architectural Graphics Standards that I could email, I think they're tif > images? > > - Jim > > "TCEBob" wrote in message > news:40216d92$1_1@newsprd01... > > I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire truck > > turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? I > > know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid > > range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads appreciated! > > > > rs > > > > > >
*Laurie Comerford
Message 5 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-04-2004 11:21 PM in reply to: *TCEBob
Hi, An infinitely better solution is a program like "Autotrack" from Savoy. This gives you a huge range of vehicles, ability to create your own and ability to sort out what happens when you go forwards, backwards or any combination of these at any speed. The results are grip editable and can provide an excellent visual view of the vehicle tyre track and overhangs. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "TCEBob" wrote in message news:40218525$1_1@newsprd01... > Jim, I would be eternally grateful. Tcebobc at com cast dot net. > > rs > > "Jim Mims" wrote in message > news:402174a6$1_3@newsprd01... > > Fire Truck: > > Turning Radius: 48' > > Length: 32' > > Width: 8' > > Height: 9'-8" > > Overhang Rear: 10' > > > > If you need it, I have charts for different vehicles extracted from > > Architectural Graphics Standards that I could email, I think they're > tif > > images? > > > > - Jim > > > > "TCEBob" wrote in message > > news:40216d92$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire > truck > > > turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? > I > > > know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid > > > range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads > appreciated! > > > > > > rs > > > > > > > > > > > >
*TCEBob
Message 6 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-05-2004 03:31 AM in reply to: *TCEBob
Laurie, I slaver at the thought. But this time all I really need is the pc equivalent of the turning diagram. I will look it up and check it out but it has to be really inexpensive. rs Sorry for the repeat, the first one went to e-heaven.
*John Mayo
Message 7 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-05-2004 08:16 AM in reply to: *TCEBob
It really isn't that expensive and it is an incredible program with excellent capabilities support. John Mayo "TCEBob" wrote in message news:402229a5$1_2@newsprd01... > > Laurie, I slaver at the thought. But this time all I really need is the > pc equivalent of the turning diagram. I will look it up and check it out > but it has to be really inexpensive. > > rs > > Sorry for the repeat, the first one went to e-heaven. > >
Distinguished Contributor
dfarris75
Message 8 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-05-2004 01:39 PM in reply to: *TCEBob
we've got autoturn here. it's pricey tho, and doesn't impress me all that much.
*TCEBob
Message 9 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-05-2004 03:01 PM in reply to: *TCEBob
"John Mayo" wrote in message news:40226c24_1@newsprd01... > It really isn't that expensive. . . > John Mayo The exact words I would use to convince Mrs. Tcebob to ok the Ferrari. So I went to the site and downloaded the demo. Very discrete, these Brits; not a word on the site about price. Please tell me what it cost when you bought it. But gently. rs
Valued Contributor
John7
Message 10 of 20 (8,219 Views)

02-11-2004 03:42 PM in reply to: *TCEBob

Laurie, I slaver at the thought. But this time all I really need is the pc equivalent of the turning diagram. I will look it up and check it out but it has to be really inexpensive.

rs

You should explain to your boss its unethical for you to be designing life safety facilities like fire truck accesses without the necessary tools and or training.

I would flat out refuse to take responsiblity for those drawings and certainly wouldn't put my initials on them. (What usually happens when you design something different is after it is built the fire department sends a truck out to test it. Expect a phone call if they can't turn around.)

If you are forced to design it on a shoestring budget you could consider calling the responding fire hall (not 911) and explain to them what you are designing. They should be able to give you their guidelines and tell you what their biggest truck is. Then call the manufacturer for turning radius or 3-point turn specifications. (I've done something similar for bus stations and facility specific articulated buses. They provided a scale diagram which I was able to scan, import and rescale correctly to check my designs).

John (geometrics designer)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community