Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning radius for fire truck

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
29106 Views, 21 Replies

Turning radius for fire truck

I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire truck turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? I know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads appreciated! rs
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Fire Truck: Turning Radius: 48' Length: 32' Width: 8' Height: 9'-8" Overhang Rear: 10' If you need it, I have charts for different vehicles extracted from Architectural Graphics Standards that I could email, I think they're tif images? - Jim "TCEBob" wrote in message news:40216d92$1_1@newsprd01... > I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire truck > turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? I > know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid > range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads appreciated! > > rs > >
Message 3 of 22
jwilkerson

I am working a project for a supermarket and need to know the turning radius for there semi-trucks. Do you have that info as well. I wouldn't mind having all the charts for different vehicles as well. My email is jwilkerson@vandellce.com. Thanks.
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous

Jim, I would be eternally grateful. Tcebobc at com cast dot net. rs "Jim Mims" wrote in message news:402174a6$1_3@newsprd01... > Fire Truck: > Turning Radius: 48' > Length: 32' > Width: 8' > Height: 9'-8" > Overhang Rear: 10' > > If you need it, I have charts for different vehicles extracted from > Architectural Graphics Standards that I could email, I think they're tif > images? > > - Jim > > "TCEBob" wrote in message > news:40216d92$1_1@newsprd01... > > I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire truck > > turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? I > > know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid > > range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads appreciated! > > > > rs > > > > > >
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

Hi, An infinitely better solution is a program like "Autotrack" from Savoy. This gives you a huge range of vehicles, ability to create your own and ability to sort out what happens when you go forwards, backwards or any combination of these at any speed. The results are grip editable and can provide an excellent visual view of the vehicle tyre track and overhangs. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "TCEBob" wrote in message news:40218525$1_1@newsprd01... > Jim, I would be eternally grateful. Tcebobc at com cast dot net. > > rs > > "Jim Mims" wrote in message > news:402174a6$1_3@newsprd01... > > Fire Truck: > > Turning Radius: 48' > > Length: 32' > > Width: 8' > > Height: 9'-8" > > Overhang Rear: 10' > > > > If you need it, I have charts for different vehicles extracted from > > Architectural Graphics Standards that I could email, I think they're > tif > > images? > > > > - Jim > > > > "TCEBob" wrote in message > > news:40216d92$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I need to set up a turn-around at the end of a 400' drive for fire > truck > > > turns. Not a cul-de-sac but a tomahawk. What radius or vehicle type? > I > > > know, that's a bit like "how high is up?" but let's stipulate a mid > > > range vehicle rather than, say, an urban ladder. Any leads > appreciated! > > > > > > rs > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

Laurie, I slaver at the thought. But this time all I really need is the pc equivalent of the turning diagram. I will look it up and check it out but it has to be really inexpensive. rs Sorry for the repeat, the first one went to e-heaven.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

It really isn't that expensive and it is an incredible program with excellent capabilities support. John Mayo "TCEBob" wrote in message news:402229a5$1_2@newsprd01... > > Laurie, I slaver at the thought. But this time all I really need is the > pc equivalent of the turning diagram. I will look it up and check it out > but it has to be really inexpensive. > > rs > > Sorry for the repeat, the first one went to e-heaven. > >
Message 8 of 22
dfarris75

we've got autoturn here. it's pricey tho, and doesn't impress me all that much.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

"John Mayo" wrote in message news:40226c24_1@newsprd01... > It really isn't that expensive. . . > John Mayo The exact words I would use to convince Mrs. Tcebob to ok the Ferrari. So I went to the site and downloaded the demo. Very discrete, these Brits; not a word on the site about price. Please tell me what it cost when you bought it. But gently. rs
Message 10 of 22
John7

Re: Turning radius for fire truck

Laurie, I slaver at the thought. But this time all I really need is the pc equivalent of the turning diagram. I will look it up and check it out but it has to be really inexpensive.

rs

You should explain to your boss its unethical for you to be designing life safety facilities like fire truck accesses without the necessary tools and or training.

I would flat out refuse to take responsiblity for those drawings and certainly wouldn't put my initials on them. (What usually happens when you design something different is after it is built the fire department sends a truck out to test it. Expect a phone call if they can't turn around.)

If you are forced to design it on a shoestring budget you could consider calling the responding fire hall (not 911) and explain to them what you are designing. They should be able to give you their guidelines and tell you what their biggest truck is. Then call the manufacturer for turning radius or 3-point turn specifications. (I've done something similar for bus stations and facility specific articulated buses. They provided a scale diagram which I was able to scan, import and rescale correctly to check my designs).

John (geometrics designer)
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

Had a long conversation with my boss while I was alone in the car, driving home. I argued passionately and persuasively until I had no choice but to cave in. Then I went to the treasurer for funds. "Tut," I said, "How much will it cost?" "Gosh, I don't know, nobody on the web site or in the friggin newsgroup will tell me," I reposted. "But they did tell me 'It really isn't that expensive . . .'" The fire chief will share the radius in his own good time. Meanwhile I'll use 42', which worked in an adjacent town. It really depends on the equipment, I guess, and the department are the ones who know their stuff. rs
Message 12 of 22
cdb1386

Autoturn is another really good program to use
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

If you scan the prior messages you will note an odd phenomenon, regarding Autotrack: no one wants to divulge the cost -- Including Savoy, the publisher. Since you mentioned Autoturn perhaps you know: how much does it cost? rs "cdb1386" wrote in message news:28647061.1077039582882.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Autoturn is another really good program to use
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

I thought it was a few thousand. Worth it, from what I have seen, if this comes up alot. Tried and true method: stake out your design in some big parking lot - use cones, and see if the fd can turn their rig around without knocking anything over. "TCEBob" wrote in message news:403256a5_1@newsprd01... > If you scan the prior messages you will note an odd phenomenon, > regarding Autotrack: no one wants to divulge the cost -- Including > Savoy, the publisher. Since you mentioned Autoturn perhaps you know: how > much does it cost? > > rs > > "cdb1386" wrote in message > news:28647061.1077039582882.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Autoturn is another really good program to use > >
Message 15 of 22
Atran

May I have one too?
Atran@eng.hctx.net
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

Tell ya what, if I had a few large I'd find a lot more urgent places to put it. But as to the cones option, I like that. If the Chief lets me, I'll do it. rs
Message 17 of 22
ShawnSumpter

Hey they have to get the trucks out to exercise them anyway!

Our guys are usually (time permitting) very co-operative about these kinds of things. Of course it may have something to do with the fact that we are the Public Works department. LOL

Shawn
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

Exercise them. I see. Do they get curried and fed regularly? Couldn't resist. rs "ShawnS" wrote in message news:3173392.1077298911551.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hey they have to get the trucks out to exercise them anyway! > > Our guys are usually (time permitting) very co-operative about these kinds of things. Of course it may have something to do with the fact that we are the Public Works department. LOL > > Shawn
Message 19 of 22
ShawnSumpter

Hoses cleaned and dried and all of the surfaces polished after every outing!

Shawn
Message 20 of 22
mtndavid

I am working on turning radius for our fire trucks for a new proposed medical facility. I would love to have a template to use to help me decide if fire lanes are proposed to be built so that they will work for responders.  Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report