Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Close/crash

46 REPLIES 46
Message 1 of 47
Anonymous
454 Views, 46 Replies

Sudden Close/crash

It has only happened a handful of times, but when it does happen the ACAD LDD2005 window I am working in closes, with no warning, no errors, just bamm! its closed. The file reverts back to the original time it was opened as well as the backup, thus I loose all my previous work, even if I hit the save periodically. I do not know what provokes this.
In a separate but similar problem I have worked with a file that closes like this when in PS and trying to get into the viewport, it closes instantly.
Any help out there?
(I've checked with my dealer, and no leads there)

Jordan
46 REPLIES 46
Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jordan, I open a drawing in Land Desktop, modify it, (talk to a colleague), save the drawing, open another drawing in another project as required, do the same, open my mail program, make a phone call, process mail, open Excel and add up some numbers, answer the phone, etc. Go back to Land Desktop, open another drawing and do something with it. Answer the phone, Maybe I decide I need to change (answer the phone) data (talk to a (answer the phone and record data in the company database) colleague) from one drawing to another - I use a Map query, or more likely it's Land Desktop data, in which case I use (answer the phone, call back the other person who rang while I was on that call) Land Desktop commands (answer the phone and write some information to Veign's Note-It) to import data from the Land Desktop databases. (Check Email, open Word to get data from a (answer the phone) Word document, create a New Land Desktop project, copy the drawing from the email to the project and open the drawing, review issues associated with that drawing and ring drawing supplier, write it up in the database) I rarely work with drawings which exceed 200Kb is size and I only put data in the drawing (answer the phone and record data in the company database) which influences the design decisions or drafting I'm making. For project plan drafting data I keep it in a Base drawing (answer the phone, receive an error report about something and open software to fix it) which I never open, but from which I run Map queries and save backs. I have no idea why I would want 2 sessions of Land Desktop open and I value my data far too much to take the risks associated with doing so. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Jordan123" wrote in message news:22106048.1097005906579.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Laurie- > Just curious, what kind of work do you do that you don't need to ever open more than one session? > Also just curious, I have come across some of your comments in other sections and in this one, and they don't seem to be especially courteous, why is that? After all the ground rules state: > To maintain a constructive, informative, and helpful environment for discussion groups
Message 22 of 47
Anonymous

I guess different applications call for different needs. As for me and others we may need to have open more than one session at a time. Personally I am working with a file and need to match data or inverts with another file, which was created by another firm, I don't want unnecessary 'junk' in my file and I don't want to waste the time opening and closing files one at a time and then writing the info down and then opening back up the file I need to work on. All the seconds waiting for ldd to load and close add up to minutes and hours over time. And if the project is surrounded by say two other areas I may need to open two more files and go back and forth between all three, and maybe I have something I need on a different file, so I may have 4 open at once, and then there may be a separate file that I need to have open for reference to someone on the phone, so it may go up to 5, or 6 or 7. when I am done with it and know I wont need it for awhile I close it- but I don't think that is the problem, if it were I would have somewhat consistent crashes, which I don't.
Message 23 of 47
Anonymous

That is what MAP is for. I try to never have 2 sessions of LDD open. I put a shortcut to map in my send to menu. So it's as easy as a right click and send to map. Robert "Jordan123" wrote in message news:31042514.1097076849578.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I guess different applications call for different needs. As for me and >others we may need to have open more than one session at a time. Personally >I am working with a file and need to match data or inverts with another >file, which was created by another firm, I don't want unnecessary 'junk' in >my file and I don't want to waste the time opening and closing files one at >a time and then writing the info down and then opening back up the file I >need to work on. All the seconds waiting for ldd to load and close add up >to minutes and hours over time. And if the project is surrounded by say two >other areas I may need to open two more files and go back and forth between >all three, and maybe I have something I need on a different file, so I may >have 4 open at once, and then there may be a separate file that I need to >have open for reference to someone on the phone, so it may go up to 5, or 6 >or 7. when I am done with it and know I wont need it for awhile I close it- >but I don't think that is the problem, if it were I would have somewhat >consistent crashes, which I don't.
Message 24 of 47
wadehunnicutt

Let's see. . . double click on a file or right click find send to, click Map, okay. Another example - double click & and open the attachment the architect just sent or save attachment, find directory, save to directory, open directory in explorer, find file, right click, find send to, click Map. That is not convenient or expedient. I'm paying thousands for this program to help productivity, not make me jump through hoops to get it to work right.

Just my thoughts . . .
Message 25 of 47
Anonymous

Ya know if MAP was the last thing you opened a dwg with it will default to map when you use your method of opening directly from an email. You can associate dwg's to open with map. The whole process of saving an attachment take what 10 seconds? One method of saving could be saving to a local temp folder. Then have a shortcut to that folder on your desktop. As far as you pay thousands of dollars for the software. You pay $20,000 for a new car. But it only goes forward and backwards, why not sideways, after all you just spent $20,000 ;-) Robert "wadehunnicutt" wrote in message news:20484651.1097085259336.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Let's see. . . double click on a file or right click find send to, click > Map, okay. Another example - double click & and open the attachment the > architect just sent or save attachment, find directory, save to directory, > open directory in explorer, find file, right click, find send to, click > Map. That is not convenient or expedient. I'm paying thousands for this > program to help productivity, not make me jump through hoops to get it to > work right. > > Just my thoughts . . .
Message 26 of 47
Anonymous

I don't understand why there seems to be a unwritten limitation to LDD about running multiple sessions with some users, years back I have used civil softdek, and LDD, 2, and 3 with multiple sessions and no problems. So I looked on the help for LDD05 and there are helps for and using multiple sessions of LDD at once, it was designed to do it, now there may be a glitch or two in it causing sudden crashes, and that can be fixed-hopefully-(besides map doesn't have all the civil design and ldd capabilities.)
Message 27 of 47
wadehunnicutt

I agree, I'm not entirely convinced it pertains to running multiple sessions (at least on a regular basis). I've been running buccoos of multiple seasons all day (4 & 5) and haven't crashed. Thanks though - now that I've said that I'm sure it's fixing to happen. To me, it seems that it might be multiple sessions in conjunction with a specific command or something like that. I just don't know. . .
Message 28 of 47
Anonymous

your luck or mine I just crashed, and I only had one session open, and always it reverted back to the state when I originally opened it, so I had to rename a temp file and bring that back up, only loosing about 10 min, and the time to get that done. Could it be a bad memory problem? I am all updated on xp, and last week I reinstalled ldd- i don't know where to go from here
Message 29 of 47
wadehunnicutt

I guess it could be memory, however, I remember the same drawing crashing both my computer here at work and the one at home. Both are brand new (within 30 days). However I just found this - it might be worth downloading & testing your memory. (http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/servers/0,39020445,2132568,00.htm)
I'm going to do mine when I get a chance.
Message 30 of 47
Anonymous

-
Message 31 of 47
Anonymous

Jordan - You said earlier that you did manual saves during the whole session, yet when it crashes it goes all the way back to when it was opened. This is obviously a disk or memory problem, not an autodesk problem. I had experienced something similar on a Windows2000Professional operating system, not paying EVENT VIEWER much attention. You would think by now that windows would tell you when theres a hardware problem. Problem with data saves being partial, incomplete, or not at all began getting progressively worse. Come to find out my LOCAL physical harddrive had a bad sector & it just so happen to be the area my temp folder was writing too. I found this problem in my EVENT VIEWER, minutes before I was about to RELOAD the entire computer. After about 20minutes of letting Win2000 do a reboot with checkdisk it repaired my disk & magically it runs to this day without another hiccup. Remember when you seem to be the only one having off the wall problems, its usually related to you or your hardware. Hope that helps.....
Message 32 of 47
Anonymous

I had our IT guy come look at things, and of course he says its a software problem, he checked disk, I ran a defrag, and no issues with that. On the other hand I have been on the phone with my dealer support guy and he says its a pure hardware problem. Imagine that.
Message 33 of 47
wadehunnicutt

I was trying to work at home last night - 1 dwg open only - constant crashes - brand new machine - I wouldn't think that machine & my work machine coincidentally have the same hardware problems.
Message 34 of 47
Anonymous

What brings on the crash? are you in a certain command, or in paper space???
Message 35 of 47
wadehunnicutt

Last night I was doing text in paperspace on one occasion, drawing lines in modelspace on another. Many times it has centered around mtext (I think) - but it is nothing consistent or reproducible that I have discovered. (I even believe I may have been in Map vs LDT at one point)
Message 36 of 47
Anonymous

All Drivers current? What kind of Anti-Virus? Unless you just downloaded and installed the lateset drivers today you can't be sure they are current. Any apps running in background? Try this, Start>Run msconfig In the services tab sort by name and disable anything except Microsoft. In the startup tab disable everything not needed. Reboot and try it out. If it don't crash add one thing back in at a time till you find the culprit. HTH Robert "wadehunnicutt" wrote in message news:16364182.1097675339854.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I was trying to work at home last night - 1 dwg open only - constant >crashes - brand new machine - I wouldn't think that machine & my work >machine coincidentally have the same hardware problems.
Message 37 of 47
Anonymous

i didn't read all the ballyhoo about this problem. i got tired of hearing the multiple/single session argument. in the real world it is necessary to use multiple sessions to expedite production. i've been using autocad since version 2.17 and it seems that as the software gets more bells and whistles it gets more likely to crash. we all just have to live with it, autocad isn't going to fix it. i didn't see where you mentioned your CPU chip. do you have one or two? dual processors require specific settings. once i made those some of my crashes went away. if you have two you might check that aspect.
Message 38 of 47
Anonymous

I have had the problem in paperspace of crashing if my uscfollow is set to 1. I set it to 0 and it fixed that issue. But like you I have had it crash doing different commands, and even when I am looking away, not even using it. When it does crash, what does the file do? can you open it up right where you left off, or do you loose work?
Message 39 of 47
Anonymous

I would have to disagree and agree with you. Agree in the fact autodesk isn't going to do anything anytime soon, but disagree in that the more bells and whistles the better it should be, not becoming anti-productive. Sure with more bells and whistles comes more chance of something to go wrong, but at the same time since it is better it actually should be less likely to break down. If not everyone would have stayed with the old #2. If a software is more likely to crash I don't believe users would stand to get used to it and pay big bucks at the same time.
I am running pent 4 cpu 3 ghz, 1 g ram, everything new and updated.
Message 40 of 47
Anonymous

is running is safe mode similar to what you are saying? It would get somewhat cumbersome, perhaps even more than the crashes to go through all that riga-ramo, especially when the crashes are not consistent and in my case, may happen once every two weeks or three times a day

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report