Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scroll Button Panning

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
golfarch
268 Views, 7 Replies

Scroll Button Panning

I recently got a new machine, running Windows XP Professional. All of my personal settings were transferred from my old computer to my new one.

I have set the 'mbuttonpan' command to '1', and I can pan and zoom in and out using the mouse wheel, but the problem comes in that my panning is completely different. With my old machine, when my mouse wheel is pressed, a hand appears on the screen and I could grab a point and move it to another point on the screen. Now, I press the wheel, the crosshairs remain and it pans in the opposite direction that I move (similar to if you press the mouse wheel on the internet). Sometimes a bubble with four arrows (up, down, right, left) will appear (as it does on the internet), other times it simply moves in the direction of the mouse. The other problem is that it is extraordinarily inconsistent. I can select a point, move my mouse a very minimal distance and move my on-screen drawing 10 feet (when compared to the units of the drawing) while having complete control of the panning, then without doing anything else before pressing it again, I can use the exact same mouse movement and get shot off into the middle of nowhere in my drawing. I can live with learning a new method of panning, but the inconsistency is absolutely unacceptable.

I have recently installed AutoCAD on another machine with XP Professional, and the I have the same problems, is this a cad problem, or a glitch in the system with XP?? If anyone has a fix for this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark Klone
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
shane granger
in reply to: golfarch

i have the exact same problem but with windows 2000. I had a new Logitech Mouse installed and this issue started. If you resolve this please let me know.
thanks
Message 3 of 8
golfarch

I don't know of a command that does anything or a setting that has to be changed, but I had AutoCAD open on a computer for about 1 week straight (I didn't close the file I was working in either), and it worked itself out. BUT as soon as I closed the file and reopened it, it went back to the problem until I had the file open for long enough (which again was a couple days)...so now I'm more confused than ever.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Mark, My first thoughts would be to go into the control panel and make sure your mouse is setup so that the middle button is "middle button". Brian "golfarch" wrote in message news:26710425.1083181632793.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > I recently got a new machine, running Windows XP Professional. All of my personal settings were transferred from my old computer to my new one. > > I have set the 'mbuttonpan' command to '1', and I can pan and zoom in and out using the mouse wheel, but the problem comes in that my panning is completely different. With my old machine, when my mouse wheel is pressed, a hand appears on the screen and I could grab a point and move it to another point on the screen. Now, I press the wheel, the crosshairs remain and it pans in the opposite direction that I move (similar to if you press the mouse wheel on the internet). Sometimes a bubble with four arrows (up, down, right, left) will appear (as it does on the internet), other times it simply moves in the direction of the mouse. The other problem is that it is extraordinarily inconsistent. I can select a point, move my mouse a very minimal distance and move my on-screen drawing 10 feet (when compared to the units of the drawing) while having complete control of the panning, then without doing anything else before pressing it again, I can use the exact same mouse movement and get shot off into the middle of nowhere in my drawing. I can live with learning a new method of panning, but the inconsistency is absolutely unacceptable. > > I have recently installed AutoCAD on another machine with XP Professional, and the I have the same problems, is this a cad problem, or a glitch in the system with XP?? If anyone has a fix for this problem it would be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks > Mark Klone
Message 5 of 8
shane granger

i have tried several options including changeling the middle button in the mouse settings to "middle button", "universal scroll", "autoscroll" all to no avail. i have gotten used to using the zoom that is attached to the wheel to get to where i want pretty quickly but i miss the pan movement. if i get anything i'll let you know and let me know if you resolve this
thanks
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

have you tried turning off your scroll bars in "Options?" sm -- scott mceachron total cad systems - dallas "golfarch" wrote in message news:9544053.1083605750058.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I don't know of a command that does anything or a setting that has to be changed, but I had AutoCAD open on a computer for about 1 week straight (I didn't close the file I was working in either), and it worked itself out. BUT as soon as I closed the file and reopened it, it went back to the problem until I had the file open for long enough (which again was a couple days)...so now I'm more confused than ever.
Message 7 of 8
shane granger

golfarch
go to "properties" for your mouse and under the quick setup tab change the scroll button to read "middle button" by going through the device setup. i did this and it worked!! it did not however, work if i changed it to read "middle button" in the buttons tab. not sure why. also, i tried to change this on another station in our office and it failed. could be the individual mouse? i'm not really sure of that. thanks for the help
sg
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hi, We use logitech mice, but have found that Autocad and logitech drivers have problems co-existing. So we still use the logitech mice, but use the window default HID - compliant mouse driver, instead of the packaged logitech drivers with the mice on the Autocad workstations. sc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report